Is this true.

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
Twist and go: allowed, with caveats
This is an area where the EAPC legislation does differ from the EU rules. “Because of the particular benefits for elderly and disabled users, pedal cycles providing electrical assistance without use of the pedals - usually called "Twist and Goes" - are included in the above GB classification provided they are capable of pedal operation and comply with the above restrictions on maximum motor power and assistance cut-off speed”, says the Government’s information sheet. So, you can have a throttle so long as you also have a pedal-assist mode. In the rest of the EU, that isn’t allowed, except for speeds up to 6km/h (as a walking mode to help you move your bike around). Although you can have a throttle that works so long as the pedals are turning. I know, we’re confused too.

I found this on E Bike tips dated April 22nd 2016, is this correct ? I thought after January they were no longer allowed.

Twist and go: allowed, with caveats
This is an area where the EAPC legislation does differ from the EU rules. “Because of the particular benefits for elderly and disabled users, pedal cycles providing electrical assistance without use of the pedals - usually called "Twist and Goes" - are included in the above GB classification provided they are capable of pedal operation and comply with the above restrictions on maximum motor power and assistance cut-off speed”, says the Government’s information sheet. So, you can have a throttle so long as you also have a pedal-assist mode. In the rest of the EU, that isn’t allowed, except for speeds up to 6km/h (as a walking mode to help you move your bike around). Although you can have a throttle that works so long as the pedals are turning. I know, we’re confused too.

I found this on E Bike tips dated April 22nd 2016, is this correct ? I thought after January they were no longer allowed.
To my understanding that be true.
Allowed in uk. May change again Jan 2018 though?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
That's been the way of the two ebikes i've bought. Both featured 'twist and go', as well as pedel assist operation. Both were certified BS approved.

Without 'twist and go', you'd have just pedel assist and be forced to starting off in a lower gear under normal human power, which kind of defeats the benefits of ebikes for us older riders.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
That's been the way of the two ebikes i've bought. Both featured 'twist and go', as well as pedel assist operation. Both were certified BS approved.

Without 'twist and go', you'd have just pedel assist and be forced to starting off in a lower gear under normal human power, which kind of defeats the benefits of ebikes for us older riders.
Everything I read says that from January 2016 throttles are not allowed, only to 4 mph but agree with what you say.

I personally find the bike a lot easier to ride when starting off with unrestricted throttle, get up to speed then start peddling if in the mood. Banning throttles is a big step backwards.

All I hear is stuff about being green, whats greener than a bike apart from walking, government should be encouraging electric bike riding not start throwing obstacles in the way.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get what you want plod dont care or wont enforce the law as i bet not in the public interest anyway.

if they wont chase me then they wont bother with anyone else ;)

Reactions: mw1

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
Mmmm just read it again, it says ordinary bikes that have been converted, by that I think it means an ordinary bike (non electric) converted to electric. Still seams a bit grey to convert an already electric bike to have unrestricted throttle.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
get what you want plod dont care or wont enforce the law as i bet not in the public interest anyway.

if they wont chase me then they wont bother with anyone else ;)
True enough. Sticky wicket could be if you were involved in an accident, say you were taken out by a car or crazy youth giving it large on their scooter moped thing...insurance company gets wind of potential illegality of your ride, you might find you're coughing up for your own wheelchair as they squirm out of liability?
Just a thought...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
then ill put this in my wheel chair ;)

ill set the fastest lap round tesco with that mofo 210bhp 150kw ;)

• :D
Reactions: brightonebikes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: brightonebikes

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
Still don't get it, you can ride a pre January 2016 electric bike & you can convert a peddle cycle (used post 2016) to have unrestricted throttle but you can't buy a new bike with one, talk about silly, my knees are shot after 50 years of working & spending a lot of time on my Knees. I like to get out into the country like anyone else on a nice day but sometimes my knees need to rest & not peddle at all.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
how fast do you want to go? if it is 15mph law limit just fit one and forget about it ;)

you will be slower than a child on a bmx tho

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
how fast do you want to go? if it is 15mph law limit just fit one and forget about it ;)

you will be slower than a child on a bmx tho

Sounds ok until some twat knocks you off & leaves you disabled & insurance will not pay out as I was on an illegal bike. The insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying for sure.

15mph is fine with me, I am in the countryside to enjoy & see it not hurtle thru without having time to look at anything.

Reactions: EddiePJ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Still don't get it, you can ride a pre January 2016 electric bike & you can convert a peddle cycle (used post 2016) to have unrestricted throttle but you can't buy a new bike with one, talk about silly,
It's the way you are interpreting this that is misleading you into thinking it silly.

There is a law that specifies that new e-bikes post January 2016 have to have type approval to have a throttle.

However, type approval only applies to manufactured e-bikes, e-bikes created by converting ordinary bikes don't have an approval scheme, yet at least.

Therefore there is no law saying the conversion can have a throttle, simply an absence of a law saying they can't, so one can take advantage of that omission.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV and mw1
Sounds ok until some twat knocks you off & leaves you disabled & insurance will not pay out as I was on an illegal bike. The insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying for sure.

15mph is fine with me, I am in the countryside to enjoy & see it not hurtle thru without having time to look at anything.
This is me being blunt, so I apologise.

What you want is a motorbike, what you don't want is to pay tax / insurance etc, so you want the benefits of a motorbike without the costs.

This is the loophole the motorbike industry is trying to stop, hense the new rules... if it can move without being pedaled, its a motorbike.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: mw1 and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Everything I read says that from January 2016 throttles are not allowed, only to 4 mph but agree with what you say.
Just to clarify this further, there was no mention in law that throttles were allowed before January 2016 either.

It's just that the pre 2016 law didn't specify how the power was applied, so one could use any method.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV