I've got a tranz X ebike with no battery...

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
Hi guys,

So I've got this tranz X ebike, the frame says LEOPARD, and the battery is missing.

Here's the bike:

The connectors look like this one:

Can I just get any other 36v battery and adapt the connections? Where can I get a (cheapish) battery?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

No, you probably can't use any battery without testing first. Some TranzX systems use CANbus to communicate between the controller and battery, so you need the right battery. If you could find a way to get 36v or 40v to the main controller wires, you could test it.

Controllers are not that expensive, so probably best to get a new controller and battery. The controller sits in that compartment at the front of the battery carrier. Open up that compartment and drag it out so that we can see what wires and connectors it has, then we can give better advice.

Also, can you show us what connector is on the motor

D

Deleted member 4366

The wire comes out of the motor. Follow it until you come to a connector. Pull it apart and photograph the pin arrangement.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I bought it second hand like that... And I'm not even sure if it makes financial sense to buy a battery now... Aren't there cheaper ways to make batteries?

Can't I just use this thing? https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Factory-price-Samsung-cell-lithium-hoverboard_60611631679.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.QEt1jU
Advert is very unclear but I don't think there is any protection /BMS

Just a xt60 output and no jst balance leads

So your house may well burn down. Google lithium battery fires and see how serious ....

But also the 4400 ah rating (if true) will not get you very far at all

There are no truly cheap batteries that are safe or reliable

Trust me, I've been down that road !

The best truly cheap option is to ask tradesmen for dead lithium tool packs. Strip them apart and test the cells. Often only a few have died.

Collect lots, capacity test them. Match capacities, solder them up into a 36v pack with balance leads and lipo alarms. (Or plug into a BMS)

this will be rewarding , educational and, to be honest, epically time consuming

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
No, you probably can't use any battery without testing first. Some TranzX systems use CANbus to communicate between the controller and battery, so you need the right battery. If you could find a way to get 36v or 40v to the main controller wires, you could test it.

Controllers are not that expensive, so probably best to get a new controller and battery. The controller sits in that compartment at the front of the battery carrier. Open up that compartment and drag it out so that we can see what wires and connectors it has, then we can give better advice.

Also, can you show us what connector is on the motor
So here is the connector to the motor (I forgot to take a pic of the controler, I'll do it later and post it... Sorry)

D

Deleted member 4366

Where's the frayed cable?

Can you measure or estimate the diameter of that connector. Not the one on the motor, but the other one that joins to it? You can't get a sense of scale from the photo. Also, you need to show the other end where it joins to the controller.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
If bike was legitimate, why was it sold without battery and charger.
Without purchase receipts I'm guessing stolen goods.
To tell you the truth, I hadn't thought about it until you brought this up... But it was in a big advertising website, with photos and the sellers phone number...

And looking at battery prices, not really sure if it's worth stealing one of these without battery.