Juicy Bike Urban 20 Folder - initial review

Pete Telford

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2011
Telford, Shropshire
Well have had the Urban 20 for a couple of weeks now and gathered some impressions that could be useful to all and sundry.

Reviewer: Peter Allgood

Purchased From: Juicy Bikes, Buxton

Purchase Price: £749

Time Owned: 3 weeks

Local Terrain: Moderate Hills but my use is more on relatively flat defined cycle routes round Telford.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths: Well it folds! Bought specifically so I could cycle to work but if it rains call the missus in to pick me and the bike up with her hatchback!

Attracts attention - though this can be a weakness, I have to keep stopping to explain. And the standard question is always "does it recharge itself as you go downhill".

The service has been good - my charger didn't work from new and a replacement was sent overnight.

Contrary to what the uninitiated might think, I am pedalling more than I thought I would - though when you want a little rest its nice to carry on with motor power rather than having to stop.

Fitted lights good though a flashing Red rear would be a nice touch. Indicators would be superb!

Suspension forks and sprung saddle give a decent ride.

Easily carries my 17 stone bulk without complaining.
Weaknesses:

Not many at all.

The "throttle" control is a bit logarithmic ie - nothing happens for what seems like quite a percentage of the turn then the range from snail speed to flat out is over in a very small further twist. Consequently difficult to avoid using throttle like an on/off switch.

Gearing is too low in top - On the flat I find I am still pedalling quite quickly and feel the need to change up. That said for my use I am rarely finding it necessary to drop below third gear anyway - and its great to leave the bike in a high gear but when you want to move off let the motor start you off.

Bit of poorly applied weather protection heat shrink on the motor connector needs redoing with some suitable tape before it gets too wet.

The motor does have a noise though its not unpleasant but is accompanied by a slight rattle as it powers up - maybe just mudguards and stuff vibrating.

Summary:
Pretty darned good! Has got me out cycling - and actually arriving at work without my legs feeling like jelly. To the detractors in my family who think its cheating I say, if I go out and pedal just one revolution that is more exercise than I was getting when I didn't go out on my old bike at all. As it is I reckon I pedal more than I "drive".

Overall Rating (out of 10) :

8 - the gearing and coarse throttle are the main negatives, neither of which is a show stopper.