Just added mud guards...

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
I hate the look of mudguards on a bike but it's starting to get really mucky and I'm getting fed of coming home looking like I've been sprayed with mud.
Tredz had these for £8 so thought I'd give them a go. Very plasticky but I didn't get covered so I guess they'll be staying on till spring :)

IMG_20171010_210642.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The anti MG boys will be on to shoot you down, like you I prefer not to have a badger stripe front or back and ride with them. Vanity/looks doesn't come in to it for me, I just like to go out and enjoy my rides how ever the bike looks.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Personally I don't get the no mud guard argument, It's a personal thing I know, but I'm just out to have fun on my bike, if that includes mudguards, sat nav, lights and a bell to warn walkers.... so be it. ;)
Is there an argument against keeping yourself, your bike, including the electrical components, a bit drier and a bit less mud spattered?

What's the argument? Aesthetics?

When I go cross country, I don't expect to stay clean or dry. I'd just rather not get soaked to the bone with a dripping wet ass, back, and head. Yes, the spray and the mud does go that high at times. There's also your handlebar gear to consider.

Splash guards, spray guards, ass-savers and mudguards. Love them or hate them, they do their job. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz and Ballynoes

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
The Mudhugger does look good. My only hesitation is that it doesn't cover as much of the rear wheel as some others do.

Anyone know if mudguards for 700c wheels would fit my 29" wheels? I think 700c are 28"?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
What's the argument? Aesthetics?
Not at all. I gave up with mudguards a very long time ago, and have tried most of what is available, plus also made my own. Mudguards are fine if all that you do is commute or ride in parks or on grass. Beyond that, they become a major inconvenience and nuisance.

Take the Topeak example that Ballynoes has linked to. I tried those several years ago, and snapped two in row, in just a matter of days.
The front is going to snap when you take your first fall, or become snagged on any undergrowth that you might happen to ride through.
Close fitting mudguards have the added disadvantage that they also become thoroughly clogged up with mud, to the extent that when mixed with autumn leaves, the wheels don't even turn. When taking part in Wiggle and Evans rides, I have seen plenty of mudguards thrown away and discarded for this very reason.

Mudguards are also a major inconvenience if your ride involves having to lift the bike over fences/gates etc.

Other than the use of a front neoguard, there is no benefit of fitting mudguards for the bulk of my use. If I were riding/commuting on the road though, I'd have no hesitation in fitting them.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Not at all. I gave up with mudguards a very long time ago, and have tried most of what is available, plus also made my own. Mudguards are fine if all that you do is commute or ride in parks or on grass. Beyond that, they become a major inconvenience and nuisance.

Take the Topeak example that Ballynoes has linked to. I tried those several years ago, and snapped two in row, in just a matter of days.
The front is going to snap when you take your first fall, or become snagged on any undergrowth that you might happen to ride through.
Close fitting mudguards have the added disadvantage that they also become thoroughly clogged up with mud, to the extent that when mixed with autumn leaves, the wheels don't even turn. When taking part in Wiggle and Evans rides, I have seen plenty of mudguards thrown away and discarded for this very reason.

Mudguards are also a major inconvenience if your ride involves having to lift the bike over fences/gates etc.

Other than the use of a front neoguard, there is no benefit of fitting mudguards for the bulk of my use. If I were riding/commuting on the road though, I'd have no hesitation in fitting them.
....of course i agree with EPJ for the exact same reasons. I spent more time trying to clean the mud that got clogged up during rides and often had to take them off when cleaning the bike. More trouble than they are worth.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
....of course i agree with EPJ for the exact same reasons. I spent more time trying to clean the mud that got clogged up during rides and often had to take them off when cleaning the bike. More trouble than they are worth.
I'm not buying it guys. Correctly fitted, fit for purpose mudguards are no real inconvenience. The evidence shows that Eddie has cleared more MTB trails than most of us put together. He went berserk when those trails were wrecked and mud was then churned up and clearly evident. Obviously knowing that he would have to ride through that mud, whilst ill equipped to do so.

It's also a fact that both Steve and most definitely Eddie are renowned bike cleaners. Their bikes are immaculate before each ride and cleaned to the same standard shortly thereafter. More evidence of aesthetic obsessive compulsiveness.

Eddie won't even have a bike stand on his bikes because it messes up the looks, he much prefers to use a stick!, hidden from view. Can you imagine how mudguards would look in all those glorious HD pics? They'd look appalling.. to some. :eek:

J'accuse Eddie and Steve of fashion over function. There's no place for mudism in 2017. I will make a poll vote at the weekend before sentencing.. :D

• :D
Reactions: Steve A

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
I don't expect mudguards to break tbh. And if they do at £8 who cares?
I do plenty of rough and wet stuff. The only reason to dislike mud guards really is they look ugly. . That's it really. And if you don't want to get soaked you don't have much option.?
Alex

• Agree

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I don't expect mudguards to break tbh. And if they do at £8 who cares?
I do plenty of rough and wet stuff. The only reason to dislike mud guards really is they look ugly. . That's it really. And if you don't want to get soaked you don't have much option.?
Alex
They probably will snap as some are made of a brittle type of plastic. Mine did. I've cable tied the remainder of one onto the front wheel. It works. :)

DSC00667.JPG

Mudhuggers can be bent almost in two and not snap, they're made of a flexible type of rubberised plastic.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Utter rubbish. I had spent many hundreds of hours making those trails. The lack of a mudguard has nothing to do with my anger. That was close to one and half years of work, ruined.

Don't understand the word work used here. I thought you enjoyed making trails which makes any anger understandable. .. Work implies you were paid to do a job.

• Informative

Related Articles

Advertisers