Just been shopping! Cube Reaction Race 500

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
Picked it up earlier :). Haven't had a chance to do much with it yet tho, so hoping for some dry spells tomorrow!

Reactions: Gaz and Ballynoes

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I was already looking at the 28 x 2.35 Big Apples, but couldn't figure out if they'd fit.
There is a chap who often calls into the Farchnad Fach shop in Capel Hendre. He owns a number of bikes and one of them I believe is an e-cube with those very tyres. I'd keep an eye open and ask him.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
There is a chap who often calls into the Farchnad Fach shop in Capel Hendre. He owns a number of bikes and one of them I believe is an e-cube with those very tyres. I'd keep an eye open and ask him.
Ah, cool, local people!

I bought a set off Wynstanleys earlier, so will find out for myself soon!

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Nice looking bike. Any update?
Went out for a quickie earlier, only about 2 miles round the block, need to try to find time for a better blast. Really enjoyable tho! I don't have anything to compare it to, so didn't notice any quirks.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
The 2018 Reaction Race does look a nice bike. From the Cube website I don't think they supply this model fitted with mudguards and lights, which is a shame for me.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
The 2018 Reaction Race does look a nice bike. From the Cube website I don't think they supply this model fitted with mudguards and lights, which is a shame for me.
I will need to get some mud guards on it too. I read on another thread on here that cube do a front mud guard but I haven't looked into it yet.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I will need to get some mud guards on it too. I read on another thread on here that cube do a front mud guard but I haven't looked into it yet.
I believe they do.

Im thinking I'd like a Cube model that also has lights factory fitted (assuming the lights are factory wired to the bikes battery?), but I have no idea if these factory fitted lights are any good or if Id find myself replacing them anyway?

Im off to see the Cube stand at the NEC Cycle Show later this month, and I intend to ask them about their mudguards & lights etc.

• Useful

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Hmmm, NEC cycle show, that's quite tempting actually! I've not used bike lights before, but I do use head torches all the time (no electricity where I keep the horses), so am interested in LED/battery technology. Shame there's no output on the battery like on some of the other bikes :(

• Agree

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
There are plenty third party mudguards etc out there which fit all mountain bikes. You don't have to go to Cube. I have bought various options for my other non ebikes and they are all pretty easy to fit.
Something like these, but make sure you get the correct ones for your wheel size.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-defender-mudguard-set-fx-rx/rp-prod74890?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sSRfw3pJA_dc|pcrid|161850070953|pkw||pmt||prd|288942UK

• Informative
Reactions: Gaz and LeighPing

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks. I've used those rear mudguards before, but I prefer the type that enclose the wheel. But as you say, I can probably pick those up anywhere.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Just had an email to say mine has arrived early.... :D, will let you know how it runs, but not able to collect till next week due to other commitments.. :confused:
Fab, exciting! Frustrating you can't pick it up for a bit tho! You thinking of derestriction at all?

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi Xena,

I have thought of de-restricting it, but with a two year warranty. You can’t do anything for the first two, or they won’t touch it if it goes wrong.

More speed is not really my reason for buying an Ebike, as I don’t commute on it.

I am using it entirely to go further and higher, and when out with the “younger guys” I can keep up on the climbs. Being late 50’s my leg power is not what it used to be, and after 25 miles or so in the hills that’s about me.

This will hopefully take some of the strain out of the long long climbs and still leave me with enough energy to go that bit farther.

As for the wait to collect it, I have to wait on the pedals to be delivered also, as I have chosen ones online…. Should have been prepared there though. :confused:

Pylon37

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2017
Glasgow
I've got the 2017 cube reaction great bike - really like the way theve integrated the battery on the 2018 model though. I use the enduro guard rapid racer mudguards on mine, I commute about 12 miles a day on canal paths, they small but do a very good job of keeping me dry. For atenner each they are excellent value and look great on the bike.

• Useful
Reactions: The Bear

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
OK so i couldn't wait and re-gigged my weekend just so I could collect my bike.

Went out on Sunday for a 25 mile hill route..... absolutely freekin awesome bike, can't believe how easy the hills are on it, and I was only in eco mode.

I described it on facebook as "your legs are 20 years younger, the hills are 20% flatter and the wind is behind you... ALL at the same time"

After 25 miles at the weekend I had only use about 30% battery, and I was looking for somewhere else to go when I got back to my car.

Even after the motor stops assisting at 15mph you can still pedal no problem as you are already up to speed. I bought the 29" wheel version and it just seams to roll and roll.

It does exactly what is it says on the tin, so to speak, it takes the kill out of the climbs, and being late 50's I makes the whole day more enjoyable... should have got one years ago. Being a Cube, build quality is first class, and even though it is a heavier bike at 22.5Kg, it doesn't feel like it.

Only negative point..... not enough days in the weekend , roll on Saturday. :D:D

Attachments

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Glad you like it, Ballynoes, and that's stunning countryside you've got to ride there!

I took mine out yesterday evening with my OH on his racer, and it was such a leveller, it was fantastic! Even when he left me on some of the downhills and straights, I soon caught up on the next uphill!

For me, it just made the whole ride more enjoyable. I'm not the kind of person who gets a kick out of killing myself on the hills for fitness - I prefer to just enjoy the ride, and so far, I'm really happy with my purchase :)

Schwalbe Big Apples have just arrived - I haven't decided if I'm going to fit them just yet tho.

Reactions: Ballynoes

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Xena, if you are not enjoying it you won't ultimately do it. I was finding this on the long hard hill climbs, and was looking for routes which avoided the worst of them. If the eBike gets you back out where you wouldn't have done before it's a win all round. I found the other mountain bikers were genuinely interested rather than claiming I was cheating.

• Agree
Reactions: xena and Steve A

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Fab looking bike Ballynoes.

Ive narrowed my choice down to either your Cube Race or Cube Acid.

The only reason I'm not sure which one to get is because I don't fully know the difference between them. I shall be asking at the Cube stand this Saturday when I visit the Cycle Show.

I know the Acid has a larger front sprocket, and slightly different motor, but I'm not sure what those differences will really mean fin the real world.

Related Articles

Advertisers