Just been shopping! Cube Reaction Race 500

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Glad you like it, Ballynoes, and that's stunning countryside you've got to ride there!

I took mine out yesterday evening with my OH on his racer, and it was such a leveller, it was fantastic! Even when he left me on some of the downhills and straights, I soon caught up on the next uphill!

For me, it just made the whole ride more enjoyable. I'm not the kind of person who gets a kick out of killing myself on the hills for fitness - I prefer to just enjoy the ride, and so far, I'm really happy with my purchase :)

Schwalbe Big Apples have just arrived - I haven't decided if I'm going to fit them just yet tho.
If OH is on a racer, do you have dongle fitted as will be hard to push past 15mph on flat without. With dongle, a decent cyclist can cruise at 25mph.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
OK so i couldn't wait and re-gigged my weekend just so I could collect my bike.

Went out on Sunday for a 25 mile hill route..... absolutely freekin awesome bike, can't believe how easy the hills are on it, and I was only in eco mode.

I described it on facebook as "your legs are 20 years younger, the hills are 20% flatter and the wind is behind you... ALL at the same time"

After 25 miles at the weekend I had only use about 30% battery, and I was looking for somewhere else to go when I got back to my car.

Even after the motor stops assisting at 15mph you can still pedal no problem as you are already up to speed. I bought the 29" wheel version and it just seams to roll and roll.

It does exactly what is it says on the tin, so to speak, it takes the kill out of the climbs, and being late 50's I makes the whole day more enjoyable... should have got one years ago. Being a Cube, build quality is first class, and even though it is a heavier bike at 22.5Kg, it doesn't feel like it.

Only negative point..... not enough days in the weekend , roll on Saturday. :D:D
Just be careful if your on off road tech stuff with 29er and motor it's easy to come off.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi Steve A,

didn't want to mention that, but I was "bucked off" at the weekend as I was getting used to it. Nothing major, just too much power on a loose gravel section... lesson learned :oops:

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi The Bear,

the CX motor will be fine for both, as there are 4 different assist levels, from 50% up to 300%.

Having tried mine out on Sunday I was 98% of the time in ECO mode (50% assist) and that was climbing hills. Any more than that and you would need a flat road, or it "takes off with you".

The Active Line motor has a torque of 50Nm and it quotes "Sufficient support, perfect for city trips or relaxed tours."
whilst the Preformance Line has 75Nm. "sporty acceleration even in alpine terrain, without changing gear."

So I would imagine, that the Active Line motor would be well enough for commuting, with the occasional trip off road.

Obviously it comes down to budget, and what you want to do with the bike.

But I dont think you will go far wrong whatever one you choose.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Im just a little unsure how any difference would feel between the CX 75Nm motor and the Active Plus 50Nm motor? Or maybe i wouldn't really feel any difference?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id go with the cx as that extra nm helps alot climbing hills stick a dongle on it and will over take any road bike ;)

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi Bear,

going by pure maths alone the CX motor is 50% more powerful than the Active, therefore it will have more power to assist you up hills and the likes, hence why it is labelled as the Alpine terrains one, and it sure has the power.

The Active Line motor is for, from, what I read, is more suited to flatter terrains and less off road, but may give you the odd off road experience.

It all depends what you are doing with the bike, hills etc, but cost is a factor also, as the CX bikes are generally more expensive.

I chose the Race 500 with the CX motor as I am 90% of the time climbing hills and out in the wilds exploring.

If you are purely commuting the Active Line will suffice, but if your budget will stretch, I would choose the CX motor, as in its lowest setting and on mainly flat roads it will do easy 70 - 80 miles, but you will still have the power to go into the hills if you wish.

What I did take from yesterday’s venture into the hills was, it inspired me to go further and higher as I know I have the power and range now.

Those routes I once shied away from are now "game on"

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
id go with the cx as that extra nm helps alot climbing hills stick a dongle on it and will over take any road bike ;)
Hi Bear,

going by pure maths alone the CX motor is 50% more powerful than the Active, therefore it will have more power to assist you up hills and the likes, hence why it is labelled as the Alpine terrains one, and it sure has the power.

The Active Line motor is for, from, what I read, is more suited to flatter terrains and less off road, but may give you the odd off road experience.
I'm sure you are both correct. Im sure my visit to the Cube stand on Saturday should answer all the niggling questions I have in my head :)

Reactions: Ballynoes

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
With Active Plus and CX you are trading quieter easier unassisted pedalling for faster climbing speed. With 11spd 11-46t cassette Active Plus should climb all but steepest overroad tracks. Your tyres and downhill abilities maybe more limiting factor, what it can go up you may think twice about riding down.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi topographer,

sorry my last post didn't seam to appear, it's Glen Tilt in Highland Perthshire, heading to the falls of Tarf.

We have some fantastic mountain biking up in Scotland not far from my door, so very lucky.

Just like to add that I had my Cube out again yesterday and can't beleive how powerfull it is, I did 28 miles over the hills and climbed over 2500 feet. It never missed a beat and I couldn't beleive how well it performed.

All those out of bounds places are definately back on the cards, esp for the "older cyclist" if you are in any doubt about buying an ebike, dont be they are fantastic fun.

And when one guy said to me that I was cheating, I just replied. "you can cheat at having fun, and I am having twice as much fun as you"

Love my ebike :D

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Hi topographer,

sorry my last post didn't seam to appear, it's Glen Tilt in Highland Perthshire, heading to the falls of Tarf.

We have some fantastic mountain biking up in Scotland not far from my door, so very lucky.

Just like to add that I had my Cube out again yesterday and can't beleive how powerfull it is, I did 28 miles over the hills and climbed over 2500 feet. It never missed a beat and I couldn't beleive how well it performed.

All those out of bounds places are definately back on the cards, esp for the "older cyclist" if you are in any doubt about buying an ebike, dont be they are fantastic fun.

And when one guy said to me that I was cheating, I just replied. "you can cheat at having fun, and I am having twice as much fun as you"

Love my ebike :D
I'm not going to get on my high horse with idiots who says it cheating, as cheating who?. Anyway, the mtb club i'm in are brilliant and recognise it as the future of biking.

Reactions: E-Wheels

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Our nearest MTB centre Comrie Croft, which has even been on TV, has a special category for eMTB's in it's up and coming race, as it recognises not all of us who MTB are in our 20's. Most people I talk to are really interested in the bike, so I don't care about the odd jealous one. I’m having twice the fun as I used to and still get a good workout. :D

DangerousDave79

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
Northern Ireland
Schwalbe Big Apples have just arrived - I haven't decided if I'm going to fit them just yet tho.[/QUOTE]

Hi Xena,

Did you ever fit those Schwalbe bBig Apples?

New Cube 2017 arrived today, with the standard Schwalbe Tough Toms. As im using almost exclusivly on the road for the daily commute I would like better road tyres with less rollign resistance. Thinking Big Apples are the way to go.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I had a good look at the 2018 Cube Race 500 whilst at the Cycle Show over the weekend, it does look very nice in red. Its on my short list along with the Cube Acid, which I haven't been able to see anywhere yet. But like yourself, I would perhaps want to fit some tyres more suitable for the road..

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
Hi Xena,

Did you ever fit those Schwalbe Big Apples?
I haven't done yet - I'm gonna see how I use the bike first. The ones that are on it now aren't too bad on the road - as someone said above, these knobblies have a solid centerline, so roll quite well, just gotta be careful on the corners!

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Although you can still come across folk in the back of beyond, like yesterday....

I was out in the hills yesterday with the ebike, and I came across this older couple walking, as we approached a gate. The old chap noticed I had an ebike and looked interested and commented so. His wife, remember I have never met them before, quickly said, “isn’t that cheating” a little condescendingly. Before thinking and with no disrespect to anyone who is., I said “not if you have a disability”….. she apologised quickly and went bright red. Her husband gave her a look that would kill. Might use this one again, and apologies to anyone who is unfortunate to have a genuine disability, but it sure put HER in her place. ;);)

• :D
Reactions: yusstay

Related Articles

Advertisers