Just been shopping! Cube Reaction Race 500

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
I had a good look at the 2018 Cube Race 500 whilst at the Cycle Show over the weekend, it does look very nice in red. Its on my short list along with the Cube Acid, which I haven't been able to see anywhere yet. But like yourself, I would perhaps want to fit some tyres more suitable for the road..

That's my exact bike :D

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Although you can still come across folk in the back of beyond, like yesterday....

I was out in the hills yesterday with the ebike, and I came across this older couple walking, as we approached a gate. The old chap noticed I had an ebike and looked interested and commented so. His wife, remember I have never met them before, quickly said, “isn’t that cheating” a little condescendingly. Before thinking and with no disrespect to anyone who is., I said “not if you have a disability”….. she apologised quickly and went bright red. Her husband gave her a look that would kill. Might use this one again, and apologies to anyone who is unfortunate to have a genuine disability, but it sure put HER in her place. ;);)
And I bet they used an internal combustion engine to cheat their way home...

michael1971

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
Hi all. i'm seriously considering the cube reaction race 500 for commuting and general time limited riding. i do like to take in the odd rocky descent though. So how are the judy silvers? worth paying the extra than just the suntours? can't justify the fox equipped top model.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
I've only had mine out three times at the moment, but, I did a 24 mile hill loop at the weekend, which was rocky most of the way. No problems at all, I also have a full sus non ebike, and the Cube gave me just as good a ride over the rough stuff. Mine is the 29" wheels so offers a little more shock absorption than the 27.5. The tyres were particularly grippy, as they were yesterday in the mud and peat bogs. As for commuting, stick it in turbo... job done. So far I think I can get around 40 miles, with a high level of assist but nearer 80 if you only use it in eco mode. It’s definitely a capable off road bike, and with the levels of assist, commuting will be a breaze.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I reckon I've narrowed down my choice of bike to either a Cube Race 500 or a Cube Acid 500.

The Acid has the Active Plus motor which is supposed to be more suitable for road riding. The Race has the CX motor which is supposed to give better assist on steep off roading.

The Race is about £400 more expensive than the Acid, and seeing as I might be doing more road riding than off road riding, the Acid makes more sense. The Race might have better forks, but they aren't as relevant when road riding. But I've a feeling the Acid won't be available until Feb 2018, whereas the Race is available now.

So I either buy a Race now, and stick some road biased tyres on it, or wait until Feb 2018 and get the Acid. Not an easy decision.

michael1971

Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
@The Bear
i was also considering the acid as a better value way to get a good ebike. it's also supposed to be quieter.
a mate has a 2017 reaction 29er with the performance cx motor and i had a borrow for commuting and trail riding. it was awesome.
so i'm thinking more towards the reaction race for the forks and the mid plus tyres. keep the bike as versatile as possible.
@Ballynoes : how do you like the mid plus tyres? does the frame have a stealth cable entry point for a dropper on the seat tube. i wouldn't fancy pulling it past the motor.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Hi all. i'm seriously considering the cube reaction race 500 for commuting and general time limited riding. i do like to take in the odd rocky descent though. So how are the judy silvers? worth paying the extra than just the suntours? can't justify the fox equipped top model.
I have rockshox airs on hardtail, they are far superior to suntour coils on my sons MTB . If MTBing go air shocks every time.
Big plus of airshocks is you can tune them for rider weight and terrain.

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire
The 2018 race looks amazing and I like the idea of the battery in the tube , I have the 2017 race which I bought a couple of weeks ago at a discounted price of £1759 from Hargroves cycles and I am over the moon with it and would recommend to anybody at that price, the 2018 race will eventually come down in price and that will be an amazing bargin

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi Michael1971, first the tyres. I was a bit unsure about the “plus size” tyres at 2.6 inches, but after the last few days I have to admit they are a great tyre. I had them over very stony rough tracks, no problems at all.

On Tuesday I did a loop, which looked good on the map, only to find it was extremely wet boggy and muddy. The tyres again were great, the bike was sliding all over the place and I even had opposite lock to steer at times, but the tyres kept digging through and kept me moving forward.

Today was a long hard run down through the hills on more rough stony tracks and they performed well. Even when I am on the roads, by the time you hit the 15mph cut off on the motor, you are up to speed and the tyres just keep rolling. I have had it up to 32mph on the tarmac with no problems. If even if YOU don’t get on with the tyres you can always replace them, but I like them.

As for a dropper seat post, see the two pics attached. There is a cable entry point at the top of the downtube, with enough room for a second cable, as there are two going in the opposite side.

As for getting it past the motor, the second picture shows there is plenty room at the top of the motor, to get it passed. How you do that I don’t really know, but this bike actually comes with the option of a dropper post from Cube, which I didn’t get, so there must be space for it. Obviusly if you get the Cube option it will be Cube prices, but it looks like there is plenty room to go from the seat tube round to the downtube, but you would probably have to drop the motor.

Today was 28 miles up and down, some of the hills were easy 20% gradient and there was plenty power to get you up without killing yourself, love this bike.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

michael1971

Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
@Ballynoes : thanks for the info pal. much appreciated.
i can see why you love it.
i'll probably hold off on the dropper for the time being. i've a lever under saddle dropper i could shim into it for when needed.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
You don't need to be MTBing to justify dropper, excellent for commuting when stopping at intersections. I use mine far more than expected on road.

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
Hello all,

I too have bought the Cube Reaction 500 race 2018. Does anybdy know where the frame seriial number can be found ? Evans say on the stickers on the crank arms. I looked and there are two different numbers. Surely Cube have embossed the bike somewhere ?

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Mine is located at the bottom of the seat tube, right at bottom and back, between the seat tube/motor housing and the rear wheel. It is also in the front of the book you get with the bike... hope this helps.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
Now there's a few of us with the same bike, did anyone's come with the quick release front axle as on the spec sheet? Mine didn't! Planning to go back to the shop to see if they can get one.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Now there's a few of us with the same bike, did anyone's come with the quick release front axle as on the spec sheet? Mine didn't! Planning to go back to the shop to see if they can get one.
Quick releases also work well for thiefs, unless you need to remove wheel regularly I'd stay with bolt.

Reactions: Ballynoes

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
I carry a multitude of bits and pieces everytime I ride, so a multitool will remove my front wheel no problem, but if the quick release is your prefered option I am sure they can get you one easy enough, as I have the exact same one on another bike.

On anoter note, I have only had the bike for a few weeks now and done 4 or 5 big rides. Yesterday when I truned it off after a ride it flashed a message across the screen "Replace Display Battery".. no problems there. But they didn't appear to last very long, I'm hoping it was just the first ones which have been tested and demonstrated quite a bit before it got to me. Will see how long the next ones last.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
@The Bear
i was also considering the acid as a better value way to get a good ebike. it's also supposed to be quieter.
a mate has a 2017 reaction 29er with the performance cx motor and i had a borrow for commuting and trail riding. it was awesome.
so i'm thinking more towards the reaction race for the forks and the mid plus tyres. keep the bike as versatile as possible.
Michael, did you end up buying the Cube Race? Ive just ordered one to pick up next week. I count at least 6 of us on here who own the Cube Race.

michael1971

Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
Michael, did you end up buying the Cube Race? Ive just ordered one to pick up next week. I count at least 6 of us on here who own the Cube Race.
it's looking like i'm going for a reaction pro. i prefer the look of the black and grey colour scheme and also its to meet a price point. d day is tomorrow.

Reactions: The Bear

Related Articles

Advertisers