Just bought a bike

Rich_uk

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2018
West Midlands
Been lurking for a while but thought I better join now I’ve bought a bike, as no doubt I’ll have lots of questions for you knowledgeable guys, first one is coming at the end of this post as I’m already freaking out a bit. Anyway.. I had an electric bike a couple of years ago which was a converted mountain bike with 1000w rear wheel motor, it was great fun but I couldn’t live with battery etc rattling about in the box on the back, the messy wiring, and the uneven weight distribution, so I didn’t keep it very long. Now that things have moved along a bit I started looking again recently and I decided to go quality and legit (at least until I chip it) this time, I’m not exactly well off so I went for the best I could afford and I’ve just bought a 7 month old Cube Race 500 off a guy on eBay, it’s a great looking bike and I’m really excited about getting out on it for the first time tomorrow.

The thing I’m freaking out about.. I just finished fully charging the battery and when I switched it on the display is quoting very short ranges (I’m assuming these figures are distance in miles?), on eco it’s saying 14, and on turbo it’s saying 4. Please tell me I’m worrying over nothing and these will recalculate when I ride the bike?

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0451.JPG
if it had a dongle or not the range will be all over the place until you start riding it and after 20 mins will start going up or down to how you are riding it and how much power from the batt you use..

Rich_uk

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2018
West Midlands
Cheers guys, I thought that was probably the case but you know what it's like when you've just bought something you're not really familiar with, especially when buying used.

• Agree

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Get out and ride it ! It’s the only way you’ll find out . Max I’ve had out of my cube reaction hybrid with 400wh battery is 32 miles in EMTB mode on quite flat terrain but I’m a heavy rider @ 105 kg . Yours does seem low so guessing last owner probably had a dongle fitted or rode it hard !

Rich_uk

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2018
West Midlands
Get out and ride it ! It’s the only way you’ll find out . Max I’ve had out of my cube reaction hybrid with 400wh battery is 32 miles in EMTB mode on quite flat terrain but I’m a heavy rider @ 105 kg . Yours does seem low so guessing last owner probably had a dongle fitted or rode it hard !
I didn’t fancy getting out and riding it at 10pm last night, in the rain, but I’ve been out and done a few miles today and the range has crept up to 16 so far on turbo, and the battery hasn’t dropped at all yet. Loving the bike and I’m very happy with what I paid for it.

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Sounds about right turbo mode will use the battery up pretty quick . I don’t tend to use it much as the gear shift seems rather rough when up shifting . Far smoother on EMTB or tour mode

• Informative

Rich_uk

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2018
West Midlands
I can't help myself I'm a speed freak, I haven't even tried any other mode yet, and I have a dongle on the way too so the battery life will be even worse. I'll probably get a 2nd battery when funds allow.

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id order some sinterd brake pads as the ones that come with it wont last 5mins with a dongle.

if you still over heat the rotors then 2 part ones are the way to go i had to put 203mm on front and back with 4 piston brakes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there light and strong so loony money but lower end bikes come with basic stock wheels up to a price point.

wheels on my bike were over 1k when it was new but the bikes rrp was 5500+dropper post.

DSC_0030_01.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got a 2k ebay discount ;) but new batt and other changes have spent well over 1k on it to get rid of some waight there is not even qr levers anywhere carbon cranks it all adds up :eek:

Reactions: Rich_uk

Rich_uk

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2018
West Midlands
I'm happy with my basic bike for now, and hope it stays that way I can't afford anything better, it's more than good enough for what I want it for.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
If it's annoying your wife then do what my hubs did and encouraged me to get an eMTB...... never looked back.