Just Bought XTreme Trail Maker - PAS issue

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Just bought an XTreme Trail Maker. Got it out of the box, put it together. Couple of short rides to tweak brakes, bars and seat...

My question - the PAS seems to go on and off. Its fully charged, the key is ON. I ride for a 100 feet or so and the PAS shuts off. Then it may or may not come back on. I can cut the key back OFF and ON and the on/off PAS cycle starts again.

My bad knees need this assist occasionally so I spent the extra bucks on a PAS bike. What am I doing wrong?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As d8veh has said, ensure the gap is very close like 1mm.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Please let us know the results, as we've been kind enough to help you.

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
As far as I can tell, the magnet must be inside the sealed rear wheel hub. The wires go to the post of the axle, then disappear into the middle. Forgive me if I am missing something obvious. I'm a total ebike novice here

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Can't see too well from the photo, but it looks like the pas disc is mounted on the inside of your chainring. It's a black disc about 60mm in diameter, with 8-12 little magnets set in it. On the frame, somewhere down there, there will be a sensor. The magnets should pass within about 1mm of that sensor.

• Informative

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
On my bikes the sensors are on opposite sides. Look for something like these.

View attachment 21272 View attachment 21273 View attachment 21274
Thanks.

Now that I know what I'm looking at, as you can see from the pics, it appears to bent toward the magnets. The brass ring is exactly 1mm from the magnet but the sensor appears to be bent forward. Should I straighten that out? 20170917_134158.jpg 20170917_134418.jpg

The second picture is as directly over the crankshaft as I could get. You can see the tilt on the sensor

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Greetings. Turns out I had a bad battery. I explained everything you guys told me to do. Mfg told me to try a couple of things, then they said that they thought it was the battery, Mfg would not exchange by sending me battery. Had to send it to them up front in Washington. And I also had to pay for shipping. How they hell does a manufacturer operate like that? They also forgot to tell me that they had no keys for the batteries they sell, and I had to send that to them. Once again - how the hell does a manufacturer operate like that? And I had to pay for shipping - again. Then, they said - 'yes, it is the battery. we will replace'. Great. Then 'But we have no batteries. you'll have to wait another month.'
Just got it back Three months after this started. Not happy with Allco Manufacturing.
On the good side. I love the way the bike rides. Put quite a few miles on it already.

Paul Heckmann

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
So, I ride the heck out of this bike. Put about 15 miles at a time in it, 4-5 days a week. Not too bad for an old fat guy!
But, I seem to have to use the throttle. I cant really feel the PAS, maybe just a bit in 3rd. Got on a new GIANT down at Bike World and felt how PAS should work. Mine is nothing like that. Any suggestions?

D

Deleted member 4366

Is the PAS working or not? What you said is too vague. Put the bike in its lowest gear, lift the motor-wheel off the ground and turn the pedals. Does the motor overtake the pedals?

• Useful