Kalkhoff Agattu Mod

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
I have a Kalkhoff Agattu which i have had for years, its on its second battery and works great.
I have recently (within the last 12 months) been diagnosed with a lung disease which is not going to get better. I would like to continue cycling so thought adding a front wheel motor that i can power separately would be ideal, particularly for hills.
Can you give me any suggestions, ideas or pitfalls to my idea.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Shouldn't be any problem, but you'd need to have throttle control for the front motor of course. Also use a separate battery for the front motor, the five contact with three in use when running of the Agattu's battery wouldn't suit. If you only use the front motor for added power when climbing it could be a smallish second battery.

It's been done before a number of times, the one in the photo below of a crank drive Lafree has a Heinzmann front motor. That owner went mad in adding a generator as well, no need for that of course.

Reactions: Biged
D

Deleted member 4366

It's dead simple. You just fit a front motor kit. You need to figure out where to put the battery. The downtube is ideal. That's dead easy if you have the crossbar version of the Agattu.

I would stick to a fairly low torque motor. The Xiongda YT06 might be a good one because it's very light -good as an auxilliary, but it won't power you up hills on its own.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
It's dead simple. You just fit a front motor kit. You need to figure out where to put the battery. The downtube is ideal. That's dead easy if you have the crossbar version of the Agattu.

I would stick to a fairly low torque motor. The Xiongda YT06 might be a good one because it's very light -good as an auxilliary, but it won't power you up hills on its own.
Thanks for that reply. Where would i get a Xiongda YT06 or information about it. I would also need all controls so a kit would be nice.

D

Deleted member 4366

You contact Bonnie at Xiongda. It's a family business, so she knows everything. Their support is exemplary. They provide the motor, controller, display and throttle. The motor is not in a wheel, so you have to sort out your own rim, spokes and wheel-build. The motor is tiny. I wonder if it's exactly the same size as your dynamo, which would mean that you could use your existing rim and spokes.

It should be possible to bodge a pedal sensor onto your bike if your good at that sort of thing, otherwise you have to use the throttle for the front motor. Show a picture of your handlebar layout so that we can advise you which one.

If you want to go ahead and order, ask Bonnie for:
Qty 1 Front motor YTW-06
Qty 1 KT controller
Qty 1 LCD display
Qty 1 throttle (specify type)
Delivery to UK

She will send you an invoice that you can pay with Paypal.