Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
looks a bargain.....they won't regret it

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Not really, it is over 2 years old, has a little damage and had two owners:p
Oh, I just discovered the questions/answers section at the bottom of the eBay page...indeed, not brand new :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Assuming it is going to need a new battery, that makes it £750 + £395 = £1145. A new one costs £1595, so a saving of £450.

Based on this, I don't think it is a bargain. The bike and motor are two years + old and of unknown history, carrying some cosmetic damage. I'd of thought about £500 would have been nearer the mark for that bike.

If you compare it to the Technium, it's positively expensive.

Flecc's formula is buried within the forum somewhere, but i couldn't find it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's a repeat of my formula for establishing a fair second hand price for an e-bike, taking into account the fact that the battery is a large proportion of the cost but has a very much shorter life than the bike part. Therefore the two have to be dealt with separately.

One year old battery: Half the current replacement cost of a battery is established to give half value left.

Two year battery: Zero value left.

For ages in between in each of the above cases, the price established should be pro-rata, and in cases where the battery has been replaced at some point, the same pro-rata rule can be used against it's age.

Then the start point of the e-bike's separate value is established by deducting the current new battery price from the original purchase price and then a depreciation percentage is deducted in the same manner as for other vehicles, the initial depreciation quite high as is usual:

I year old bike: 25%
2 year old bike: 35%
3 year old bike: 45%
4 year old bike: 55%
5 year old bike: 60%
6 year old bike: 65%
7 year old bike: 70%
8 year old bike: 75%
9 year old bike: 80%

Then to the discounted price of the bike only, any residual value of the battery as established above is added back to give the fair second hand price.

On this basis, that Agattu would be about £580 to £715, less a bit for the damage. I'm not able to be precise since I don't know precisely what it was bought at since there were some rapid changes in the new prices two years ago.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
If you compare it to the Technium, it's positively expensive.
True, but they've all sold out and won't be coming back- that's what Wiggle told me when I met their buyers in Germany last month.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
True, but they've all sold out and won't be coming back- that's what Wiggle told me when I met their buyers in Germany last month.
If that's the case, they were probably selling them off cheap to clear their stock.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Here's a repeat of my formula for establishing a fair second hand price for an e-bike, taking into account the fact that the battery is a large proportion of the cost but has a very much shorter life than the bike part. Therefore the two have to be dealt with separately.

One year old battery: Half the current replacement cost of a battery is established to give half value left.

Two year battery: Zero value left.

Are these Panasonic batteries really completely worn out after 2 years? I know they are only guaranteed for 2 years, but if treated well surely they must still be usable?

I am being careful with mine, recharging every day and usually with 3 LEDs still showing. After 2 years I will probably have charged 450 times, so what remaining capacity should I expect?

I have a 6.5 year old Panasonic NiMH and this still has at least 50% of the original capacity!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not necessarily, but for a second hand pricing rule on lithium batteries at present, two years is a realistic average since usage circumstances vary so much. Any formula has to be based on the wider experience.

NiMh is a totally different chemistry, but since it's all but disappeared from e-bikes I've excluded it. In any case, a full-range daily-used NiMh battery would be finished within two years since about 400 full charges is tops for those for a usable range.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008