Kalkhoff Endeavour BS10 400Wh

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
That Stevens bike is also rather nice. For road riding these faster bikes will be safer than the limited versions.

In just one ride I'm reminded of the brick wall you hit once you exceed the 15.5 mph limit, it catches me out, and creates a hazard for following motorists because they've already predicted how fast they think you'll be going at a certain point based on our natural ability to track objects. That sudden halt to acceleration just doesn't conform to the picture of the world we've built up since childhood.

It is a very similar situation to mopeds being restricted to 30 mph, I've ridden one in my more mature years and I have to say it was the most dangerous motorcycling I've ever done. Now I've changed the engine and increased the speed to about 60 mph the bike is now infinitely safer a pleasure to ride.

Everyone already knows that cyclists who can keep up with the traffic reduce the situations where they're more likely to have an accident. Riding one of these bikes would make you safer on the roads.

Anyone out there got access to the Bosch diagnostic kit? I'm in desperate need of improving my safety on the road.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Cybercrime only asked what the bike was like!
Does anybody know what are the modifications necessary to one of these S class bikes to get it through moped registration. I noticed in the middle of this thread both D8veh and flecc both said it was difficult,in fact I think someone said it was nigh impossible,just interested what could be involved.
KudosDave
I think the approval certificate 50 cycles has for the bike is for L1e-A which is not recoqnized in the Uk, so you would have to apply for L1e-B for mopeds:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval

see bottom of page for link to testing manual under heading "More Information"

Page 3 of this link I posted earlier shows sample pictures of all the L (light) class vehicles.

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/en/intm/134159.pdf

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
I am delighted that s-pedelecs exist. However in the wrong hands they are potentially more dangerous than regular ebikes (for example on cycle paths) and the requirement to register and restrict their usage seems sensible.

The law therefore makes them different in kind to regular pedelecs and that should be made clear from the start of, as well as throughout the sales process.

Here in France, all the front page web descriptions of this excellent bike make clear that registration is required. The only issue, but surely it is important, is that such initial clarity is absent from the 50 Cycles page. The information about type approval is buried in the technical specifications and is something most people don’t understand or dwell on. You have to dig deep into the customer reviews to notice that legal restrictions exist. Even when you pop the bike into the shopping basket, no warning comes up.

Surely it would be preferable, as well as easy for the dealer to provide such initial clarity.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Totally agree. I have no problem if people sell them but do think it should be mentioned particularly on e commerce sites where people can purchase a bike before speaking to the company!

kemi

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2013
The way to get around all these discussions, would be to ask one crucial question. Can the user turn this 45 km/h feature off or dial it down by using the computer on the bike to comply with the law? If yes then it can be writen off as future proofing the bike. Of cause a feature like this can be abused, but that it will destroy the whole world as we know it, is pure speculation. As far as I know BULLS Greenmover E45 has this feature.

kemi

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2013
That Stevens bike is also rather nice. For road riding these faster bikes will be safer than the limited versions.

In just one ride I'm reminded of the brick wall you hit once you exceed the 15.5 mph limit, it catches me out, and creates a hazard for following motorists because they've already predicted how fast they think you'll be going at a certain point based on our natural ability to track objects. That sudden halt to acceleration just doesn't conform to the picture of the world we've built up since childhood.

It is a very similar situation to mopeds being restricted to 30 mph, I've ridden one in my more mature years and I have to say it was the most dangerous motorcycling I've ever done. Now I've changed the engine and increased the speed to about 60 mph the bike is now infinitely safer a pleasure to ride.

Everyone already knows that cyclists who can keep up with the traffic reduce the situations where they're more likely to have an accident. Riding one of these bikes would make you safer on the roads.

Anyone out there got access to the Bosch diagnostic kit? I'm in desperate need of improving my safety on the road.
A bike dealer told me that there is a lot of security surrounding unlocking the Bosch motor. He said it would have to go back to the factory to be unlocked. He only had access to update the software using a Bosch device with a special SD card. To change the restriction, he would also need a dongle and they only have those at the factory. I've seen that you can play tricks with the speed sensor, by buying a special cable. When looking at the system another idea struck me. If you look at the magnet, it is positioned halfway between the hub and the rim. Maybe if you could move the magnet and the sensor closer to the rim you would get an increase in max speed for free.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A bike dealer told me that there is a lot of security surrounding unlocking the Bosch motor. He said it would have to go back to the factory to be unlocked. He only had access to update the software using a Bosch device with a special SD card. To change the restriction, he would also need a dongle and they only have those at the factory. I've seen that you can play tricks with the speed sensor, by buying a special cable. When looking at the system another idea struck me. If you look at the magnet, it is positioned halfway between the hub and the rim. Maybe if you could move the magnet and the sensor closer to the rim you would get an increase in max speed for free.
Moving the magnet like that wouldn't help, it would still be one pulse per wheel turn. There was another trick of moving the magnet and sensor to the crank which rotates at a slower speed than the wheel so allowing higher cutoff speeds, depending on the selected gear. However, it was said that Bosch had defeated that, possibly by limiting the range of acceptable change in frequency.

There is an add-on dongle available for the Bosch unit which permits up to 50 kph, but it's quite dear, well over £100 from memory.

kemi

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2013
Moving the magnet like that wouldn't help, it would still be one pulse per wheel turn. There was another trick of moving the magnet and sensor to the crank which rotates at a slower speed than the wheel so allowing higher cutoff speeds, depending on the selected gear. However, it was said that Bosch had defeated that, possibly by limiting the range of acceptable change in frequency.

There is an add-on dongle available for the Bosch unit which permits up to 50 kph, but it's quite dear, well over £100 from memory.
As far as I understand the wheel circumference has been preprogramed into the computer. So by changing the magnet position, you would change the time it takes to complete one revolution. So my suggestion should give a speed increase.

About the dongle, does that mean the motor has a slot for it or where would you put it ?

Last edited:

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
As far as I understand the wheel circumference has been preprogramed into the computer. So by changing the magnet position, you would change the time it takes to complete one revolution. So my suggestion should give a speed increase.

About the dongle, does that mean the motor has a slot for it or where would you put it ?
It matters not where you position the sensor. Close to the axis of rotation or close to the rim, the result is the same, the magnet will pass the sensor once every wheel rotation. For example, if the wheel is rotating a two revolutions per second, or two wheel circumferances per second (they are the same thing), the sensor will output two pulses every second no matter where on the wheel you put it.

Unfortunately, your suggestion will make not one iota of difference to the assist cut off speed.

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
As flecc has already explained, it makes no difference where you place the magnet in relation to the rim. The surface speed of the rim is much faster than the hub, but it still takes exactly the same time for the rim and the hub to complete one revolution.

Oops, crossed with 50 Hertz

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
A bike dealer told me that there is a lot of security surrounding unlocking the Bosch motor. He said it would have to go back to the factory to be unlocked. He only had access to update the software using a Bosch device with a special SD card.
Thanks for that. At some point I will probably go for the pulse divide by two device.

kemi

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2013
As flecc has already explained, it makes no difference where you place the magnet in relation to the rim. The surface speed of the rim is much faster than the hub, but it still takes exactly the same time for the rim and the hub to complete one revolution.

Oops, crossed with 50 Hertz
Yes you are both right,back to the drawing board :)

Wigan.PT

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 20, 2013
On a slightly different track can I ask if it is possible/difficult to fit a larger capacity battery (and where can I buy one) to this model please?

If the only possibility to increase the range is to carry a second bosh battery then I guess thats what I will probably do, are there options as to where I can buy this as I can only find one option online?

Thanks in advance

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
On a slightly different track can I ask if it is possible/difficult to fit a larger capacity battery (and where can I buy one) to this model please?

If the only possibility to increase the range is to carry a second bosh battery then I guess thats what I will probably do, are there options as to where I can buy this as I can only find one option online?

Thanks in advance
Sorry for the delay, it took a while to find this thread on the German Pedelecs forum.

Please be aware, if you should attempt this modification, it's important to remember the Bosch system stores information which cannot be accessed by the owner. In the event of a warrantee claim, this stored data would show the system had been tampered with.

For this very reason, I would strongly advise purchasing a second Bosch battery as a way of extending the potential range. My own Haibike eQ Trekking was supplied with the 8ah size battery, which I found was good for around 30 miles in moderate terrain. I then purchased an additional 11ah battery from the German Ebay site for those occasional all-day expeditions. :eek:

On the other hand, if your feeling brave, you could connect any battery of the correct voltage to a Bosch powered machine by following the advice in the link below.

CLICK HERE