Kalkhoff Impulse Battery problem

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
Symptoms-- On my Agattu the 3 blue LED battery indicator flashes at ( usually ) 1 second intervals. Battery charges OK and runs ok , but I believe this may be caused by cell imbalance. Tried several recharges- discharges but still same. Tried on another bike and fault goes with battery. It is a Derby Cycle 612wh 36v 17ah type - 3 years old. Sometimes the the leds flash in a faster cadence.
The red leds on the battery itself work normally. Wondered if there is an easy way to check these cells?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Charge the battery fully and then tell us the voltage reading.
From that we can guide you on the next step.

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
Battery charged:- with battery upside down and led display away from you, counting L to R on underside lugs-voltage across Pins 1-4 = 41.8 volts , Pins 4-5 = 41.6 volts. Compared this to my similar battery ( although this good battery is a 15ah, 540wh) the results are very similar Pins 1-4 = 41.5v and pins 4-5 = 42.4v.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Though not familiar with Kalkhoff battery the end voltages seem to indicate a battery well balanced and in good condition. It is possible that one group may be discharging quicker then the rest or maybe a faulty sense wire may be causing the led light flashing. A definitive answer would be to open the battery and check the results with the dvm by measuring the cells at the bms/sense wire connections and also checking for any loose wire connections.

How is the range/mileage fairing with the battery if it is still good then I doubt there is little to worry about.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The cells are balanced. It's more likely that the indicators are faulty.

Advertisers