Kalkhoff/Panasonic charger

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Having just read through this thread and recently bought an Oxygen Emate city bike for £100 for spars and repair for my 2011 Emate and having got it home found it in better condition than the bike it is to be spars and repair for I have been inspired and just popped out to the garage to connect the battery that I assumed was completely dead to a charger to see what happens. I cannot say I am over optimistic but this thread suggests it is worth a go.

Sandyboy

Just Joined
Jul 2, 2018
A very interesting and informative thread, thanks guys. I am trying to resurrect a Kalkhoff connect. I purchased a new batt charger from Poland. However it did not charge the battery and the LEDs don't light up when the batt is on the charger. I do not see any voltage on the charging pins, when batt not on the charger. However I do see 4.9 volts on pin E... Hmmm I'll have a play later and maybe make up some flying leads in case it is a battery sitting on the charger problem....

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
Evening all, I've not read every detail here but sounds typical of the quandary's one gets with the old electric bike from time to...
Anyway my 'cure all' solution - and it worked when i bought a second hand Panasonic battery [Raleigh Dover] 18Ah job that had its own 'rapid' -and noisy-super charger supplied [by the vendor]; would not charge on the normal grey seated charger, until that is I squirted some 'Electrical Cleaner' -from motor-factor onto the pins and battery contacts. Lo everything worked after that.
The contacts had LOOKED clean, i had rubbed them with meths before , no difference , but this highly volatile solvent seems to get the non-visible gunk cleared off.
I have said it before worth trying as often most unexpectedly.
[Hasn't revived a dead NiMh though I must admit]..

Reactions: flecc

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I used my £100 spars or repair Oxygen Emate City to commute to work today, 20 mile round trip and I can charge it at work. After mending the broken spoke and adding a £10 saddle from Lidl I have used it for a few local shopping/errand trips and been very impressed by how quiet the motor is and the way it bowls along at around 20mph on the level.

I had originally written off the battery that came with the bike as it had been left for an indeterminate amount of time in a garage without being charged.

However after reading this thread I was inspired to charge it and then start using it for 4/6 mile local errands/shopping.

The lights do not work at the moment, I have had no time to investigate them but for my trip to work added some rechargeable ones.

In the dark this morning I could not see the battery level and just rode it to work and all seemed well. At work I left it on charge. For my 10 mile ride home I could see the battery level and was surprised that it only dropped one segment for the 10 mile journey.

At the moment it would appear that the battery has come back to life and appears to be quite resilient, with no sag climbing the steeper hills I have to ride up.

Of course I have no idea exactly how old this Emate is, and it may be a later model than my 2011 one. The display is badged Oxydrive.

Although I replaced the broken spoke and checked and tightened the other spokes I can tell that the wheel is still not true and may have to find someone with more expertise than me to have a go, although it is quite ride able as it is.