Kalkoff

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
None in our price range. Ok there are online bikes like Woosh, don't want to buy online. Cheapest i have seen here is Raleigh, can't remember model but it was £1800, did look at Kalkhoff with huge reduction, but put off with Bosh motor issues and decided our max budget was to be about £1500 each,which we feel is enough for a bike for leasure use. The majority of our rides will be flattish rides, at 67 years of age i want comfortable easy to use bike, which is reliable,.
Understand the budget issue, but please be assured that there are NO Bosch motor issues with Karkhoff bikes. The issues are wholly with the Impulse motors which are fitted to part of the range.

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
Understand the budget issue, but please be assured that there are NO Bosch motor issues with Karkhoff bikes. The issues are wholly with the Impulse motors which are fitted to part of the range.
Understood. I'm getting a bit to overloaded with info looking at bikes, not knocking crank bikes, just there out of price range.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
None in our price range. Ok there are online bikes like Woosh, don't want to buy online. Cheapest i have seen here is Raleigh, can't remember model but it was £1800, did look at Kalkhoff with huge reduction, but put off with Bosh motor issues and decided our max budget was to be about £1500 each.
You are confusing the issue with Kalkhof problems.
The Bosch motor drives are fine, it the bikes with the Derby Impulse 2 drive that have a fault.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Understood. I'm getting a bit to overloaded with info looking at bikes, not knocking crank bikes, just there out of price range.
Sounds like a good hub drive would suit you budget and riding expectations. The next big decision is cadence or torque sensing, they feel quite different and it comes down to personal preference. You both need to try each system.

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
Definitely settled on hub motor now, vaguely understand the cadence or touque thing now. All this info is helpful but at same time very confusing. We're both coming to the conclusion to buy local now, and see what they offer, the more questions I ask the more confusing it becomes. Hopefully we will get good backup as well buying local, not as much choice but as long as it looks ok, and is fairly easy to ride I'm sure it will be fine

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Definitely settled on hub motor now, vaguely understand the cadence or touque thing now. All this info is helpful but at same time very confusing. We're both coming to the conclusion to buy local now, and see what they offer, the more questions I ask the more confusing it becomes. Hopefully we will get good backup as well buying local, not as much choice but as long as it looks ok, and is fairly easy to ride I'm sure it will be fine
You're not quite there yet on the decision making
Just to add more confusion will the hub motors be direct drives or gear drives

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To add more :confused:sion, motor rpm a fast wound motor will struggle up hills.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Not testing a Crank Drive is like choosing a new car and only looking at diesel, or petrol. You really do need to try one, if only to appreciate the difference, especially on hills.
... agreed. The riding experience is different, and crank drives are better on hills. The experience, in my opinion is more akin to a traditional bike , but with a constant tailwind. You owe it to yourself to try out both technologies

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Yes, it is confusing. I would say that you are wise to buy locally and just emphasise that you should have a good test ride and make sure you go up hills that are similar to those you will be climbing when you are using the bike. It's the hills that make the difference! Don't worry about understanding Cadence or Torque, just see which bike suits your riding style. Having found this you can see what power train it has and then order (from the dealer who provided the test ride) exactly what you want ref frame, style etc.
I've just ordered a bike I've never actually ridden, but I've ridden all of the different components of it separately - if that makes sense! My first choice was the power system, then I went for the frame style and the component mix. But have fun, and enjoy it!

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
You're not quite there yet on the decision making
Just to add more confusion will the hub motors be direct drives or gear drives
?? ...Your making it harder, ill probably have 7 or 8 speed dérailleur type gears, she much prefers enclosed gears think you call them nexus 6. To be honest as long as it has a reasonable selection of gears i'm not bothered

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
Please read pr
... agreed. The riding experience is different, and crank drives are better on hills. The experience, in my opinion is more akin to a traditional bike , but with a constant tailwind. You owe it to yourself to try out both technologies
As i have already stated I've ruled out crank motors as the bikes are to expensive, and local shop only seems to do expensive bikes with crank motors

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
Yes, it is confusing. I would say that you are wise to buy locally and just emphasise that you should have a good test ride and make sure you go up hills that are similar to those you will be climbing when you are using the bike. It's the hills that make the difference! Don't worry about understanding Cadence or Torque, just see which bike suits your riding style. Having found this you can see what power train it has and then order (from the dealer who provided the test ride) exactly what you want ref frame, style etc.
I've just ordered a bike I've never actually ridden, but I've ridden all of the different components of it separately - if that makes sense! My first choice was the power system, then I went for the frame style and the component mix. But have fun, and enjoy it![/QUOTE

I am convinced we should buy local, even if choice is a bit imited, its not to bad though. I've also put the cadence / torque to the back of my mind, as for style she wants a step through, i want a crossbar, standard style bike. Not interested in mountain or sporty types, although in our price range i cant see anything like them, disc brakes if possible, but as long as brakes are good i don't suppose it matters. Oh and mudguards as standard, cant believe the amount of bikes which don't have them. Weather not good enough to go on test rides today, Local shop agents for Batribike, Raleigh, Freego, Wisper, Fast4ward, and Juicy, which have models in price range, although they dont have them all in stock.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
?? ...Your making it harder, ill probably have 7 or 8 speed dérailleur type gears, she much prefers enclosed gears think you call them nexus 6. To be honest as long as it has a reasonable selection of gears i'm not bothered
If wife wants IGH then it will have to be front wheel hub drive.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
I am convinced we should buy local, even if choice is a bit imited, its not to bad though. I've also put the cadence / torque to the back of my mind, as for style she wants a step through, i want a crossbar, standard style bike. Not interested in mountain or sporty types, although in our price range i cant see anything like them, disc brakes if possible, but as long as brakes are good i don't suppose it matters. Oh and mudguards as standard, cant believe the amount of bikes which don't have them. Weather not good enough to go on test rides today, Local shop agents for Batribike, Raleigh, Freego, Wisper, Fast4ward, and Juicy, which have models in price range, although they dont have them all in stock.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Wyenne, I am two years younger than you and I am suggesting that you might rethink the crossbar issue. A step through is much easier on the legs and hip, ... No throwing the leg over as it were. ...and I believe safer.
The Captus from Raleigh would just be in your price bracket, especially if you achieve a discount.

Hydraulic brakes even in the rims are very nice compared to cables, .. most of the advantages of disk brakes, but at lesser cost.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There is only one major advantage to hub gears .. you can change them while stationary.,whereas the chain has to be moving on the derailleurs. Modern derailleurs are just as easy to switch.. maybe even easier than a hub, and with modern indexing , it is a push button operation.
Derailleurs have a greater span of ratios, are more efficient in transferring power and lighter in weight, and usually cost less.