Keen to get started

Mogberi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2017
Durham
I am just retired from a busy job and want to keep active without burning myself out. Hence the interest in ebikes. Problem is choosing the right one because every internet 'best electric bike' site comes up with completely different names and recommendations. So far I have identified four that interest me - KTM Macina Cross 9, Giant Quick-E+, Cityzen and of course GTECH which is much cheaper. Durham is quite hilly and I like the idea of a sporty hybrid rather than a bulky city commute. Any help to make a quick decision MUCH appreciated. Other suggestions also welcome.

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
Welcome, I'm new to ebikes (plenty of experience with unpowered mountain bikes) and on here myself, but I feel I can give some advice regarding the GTech, as I own one (as well as a bike I've converted and one bought for Mrs FW).

The GTech gives a weaker assist and suffers due to being a singlespeed, so you'll need more effort up the steeper hills. If relying on the motor a lot, you'll only get about 20 - 25 miles out of the small battery, possibly less if it's really hilly.

That said, It's been working really well for my 12 mile each way commute and I like the carbon belt drive.

There are some brilliant options out there and I'm sure you'll get a load more replies later today. It would be worth posting in the 'Which electric bike should I buy' forum, for the best response.

Mogberi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2017
Durham
Many thanks. That fits with my first impression of GTECH and I will have a lot of leisure time so I want something that gives me options. Have posted elsewhere as you suggest.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Many thanks. That fits with my first impression of GTECH and I will have a lot of leisure time so I want something that gives me options. Have posted elsewhere as you suggest.
Hello Moberi,
Motor power and battery size are usually important parameters.
When you start your new thread in the 'Which electric bike should I buy' forum, it would be useful to indicate your weight, height and your preferred frame style.