kit nine continent: any experience with it in UK?

qeeeme

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2007
do you know the kit nine continent? do you have any experience with it? or is it not sold in UK? it seems to be the cheapest on the market (200 euros?) is any kit as cheap as that in UK?
thank you

Trumpet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2008
Bought one from Wilkotec (off Ebay), like you say there is not much to match it on price, delivery was quick and well packaged and it worked first time after a weekend of building the battery box, fitting the hub (required a little bit of tweaking with my forks and some additional modified sturmey archer torque washers as the forks were not really suitable to an additional torque arm). The instructions are part - translated but the wiring is pretty basic and common to most other kits so no real problem there either. I did have everything else ready to go though - a minimal NIMH pack made of 3 x 12v racing packs (just looking for a bit of hill assist), cabling, deans connectors, switch, charger and power supply kit.

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
do you know the kit nine continent? do you have any experience with it? or is it not sold in UK? it seems to be the cheapest on the market (200 euros?) is any kit as cheap as that in UK?
thank you
If you're happy to order from the manufacturer in China, you'll get many kits for less than that. eg Tongxin or Suzhou Bafang. Not checked prices recently but a few months ago they were both £100 (delivered to UK).

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
I have looked at the Suzhou Bafang site but can find only motors listed. Do they sell kits as well? I feel that buying as kit would remove the risk of incompatibility problems.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I don't know, but JimmyEngland got his motor + controller (and other accessories) from eCrazyman on eBay.

billmat1

Just Joined
Jan 18, 2008
I also bought a 28 inch kit from Wilkotec about 5 months ago, running on 48 volt lifepo4 . I think it's good value kit , no problems so far. There is quite a lot of information , as I expect you have found , on French and Italian forums . As Trumpet has said , you do need to check the fork dimensions and fit the right washers , again there is good info on the web .

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I know I've mentioned it before but I've tried several contact emails at Suzhou Bafang and apart from one girl who worked there who replied and said they could ship an individual order to me in the UK (and then did not reply to my subsequent emails) I got no joy with dealing with the company direct.

I also emailed Keywin (E-crazyman) but again got no reply. If someone has working contact details for getting Suzhou Bafang or Tongxin motors and accessories direct from China I'd love to hear about them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If someone has working contact details for getting Suzhou Bafang or Tongxin motors and accessories direct from China I'd love to hear about them.
Tongxin's Diana recently said that contact must be to the UK agents, not direct. Not much help since the UK agent Tony Castles is almost impossible to reliably contact, rarely answering a mail or phone call. Anyway, here's the site:

Nano UK supplies

You may find buying either from the USA easier, and the exchange rate is favourable. Try here:

Ebikes.ca

Last edited:

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Tongxin's Diana recently said that contact must be to the UK agents, not direct. Not much help since the UK agent Tony Castles is almost impossible to reliably contact, rarely answering a mail or phone call. Anyway, here's the site:

Nano UK supplies

You may find buying either from the USA easier, and the exchange rate is favourable. Try here:

Ebikes.ca

Thanks Flecc, I didn't know I could get a Tongxin motor from the US. I may try that, have you any idea if my controller (currently driving a Suzhou Bafang) will work with the Tongzin or do I need a specific one?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Flecc, I didn't know I could get a Tongxin motor from the US. I may try that, have you any idea if my controller (currently driving a Suzhou Bafang) will work with the Tongzin or do I need a specific one?
I'm not sure if you can get a Tongxin from there, but ebikes.ca know more than most and the Tongxin has definitely been widely sold in the USA before it came to Britain. If no luck, try New York company:

Nycewheels

There have been many problems with the Tongxin controllers, but they seem to have finally got them right and I would personally only consider theirs for this rather different motor.

Tha usual Nano is a three connector type with a special feedback control system, and the Suzhou 8 wire system is standard and very different in the way it works.

I understand that Tongxin also do a standard version too, but that's all I know about it.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
I'm not sure if you can get a Tongxin from there, but ebikes.ca know more than most and the Tongxin has definitely been widely sold in the USA before it came to Britain.
I believe ebikes.ca stopped getting them after their first order and I don't think anyone else in North America stocks them any more.

You could always try no-hills.com but I don't know whether they would be interested in selling just a motor.