KT-LCD3 Throttle Abnormality - error code 01

Nathan74

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 4, 2017
Sheffield
Hi all,

I've been an ebike owner for nearly a year, but started riding again seriously a couple of months ago following a heart op in Feb. I'm using my bike to commute (avoid the traffic jams, get fit, try to spend a little less in the process etc).

(Apols if I've posted the below to the wrong part of the forum)

I also bought a Yosepower front hub kit with thumb throttle, 250w, 36v, 16ah 36v battery just over a month ago. I've been using it without problems for about 3 weeks and then last night I noticed the motor was still driving while I freewheeled. Braking still worked to cut the power. Once home I switched it all off and back on and it now displays an '01 info' error code (throttle abnormality).

The thumb throttle still feels perfectly normal, no obvious signs of damage/breakage. I tried switching on with the throttle cable (it's the higo/really tight fitting push connectors) both plugged and unplugged and get the same error code. I've tried all the connectors to see if any have worked loose, but they seem fine.

Has anyone had this issue? I don't know whether to trust the error code and buy a new throttle when it doesn't seem to acknowledge if the throttle is even connected or not. Also wondering if something inside the throttle has broke/disconnected, hence the same error regardless of whether the throttle is physically connected.

A couple more thoughts:
1) Could the controller have developed a gremlin and is just misreading things?
2) It rained yesterday while the bike was locked-up outside work. I've ridden for hours in moderate constant drizzle before with no problems, so was very confident the bike is sufficiently waterproof. Could condensation have built up inside the throttle unit?? Or perhaps could water ingress has caused something to slightly stick/seize inside and cause and error code signal?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Nathan

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Those throttles with the Yose kit are prone to malfunction with water ingress. You can disassemble them with care to dry them out. Have you tried riding the bike with the throttle disconnected, you may then find the error code disappears.

Nathan74

Oct 4, 2017
Sheffield
Those throttles with the Yose kit are prone to malfunction with water ingress. You can disassemble them with care to dry them out. Have you tried riding the bike with the throttle disconnected, you may then find the error code disappears.
Thanks wheelipete, that's encouraging to know. I'll give them a try tonight.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I've had a few cheap throttles randomly break. They are only a few quid on ebay I'd just replace it in case it decides to take off when you don't want it to.

Nathan74

Oct 4, 2017
Sheffield
Update: the throttle works perfectly on another ebike, as does the kt lcd3 display, so surely it can't be either of those parts at fault. Which surely leaves the controller or hub.

Nathan74

Oct 4, 2017
Sheffield
Clean the connections up. Check all wires. Does pedal assist work?

Hi, Yeah I checked the connectors and wires, everything is still like new. The PAS still worked mine in the brief moments when the error code wasn't flashing.

An update is Yose Power are sending out a replacement controller (I'd also tried several of the kits components on my freego bike and drawn the conclusion that must be where the fault is). Fingers crossed that will sort it.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Hi, Yeah I checked the connectors and wires, everything is still like new. The PAS still worked mine in the brief moments when the error code wasn't flashing.

An update is Yose Power are sending out a replacement controller (I'd also tried several of the kits components on my freego bike and drawn the conclusion that must be where the fault is). Fingers crossed that will sort it.
Probs just a dry solder joint on the board inside. As you are getting a new one anyway might be worth having a look inside

Reactions: Nathan74

Nathan74

Oct 4, 2017
Sheffield
Hi Nathan, I'm having exactly the same issue. Did the new controller work?

Cheers
Rick
Hi Rick,

The replacement controller fixed the issue. However in the interim I managed to superglue the pas sensor and jam that up entirely... (the sensor was loose around the bottom bracket so I added some superglue to bond it to the frame, or at least that was the plan...!). I took that whole kit off and at some point I'll buy a replacement pas sensor.

Cheers,

Nathan

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Error code 01 comes when you switch on the bike and the controller detects a non-zero throttle condition. The cause would be water in the throttle or damage to the throttle. The end stops in the throttle are only thin plastic. If you bump the throttle against the zero end, you can override the stop. Even 1mm past the normal stop position can cause the error.

If you get 01 error every time you switch on the bike, it's a damaged throttle or cable. If it comes and goes with the weather, it's water.