KTM Lycon Macina Shimano gears

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Hi all,
I cant index the gears on my KTM Lycon Macina.

I have just changed the inner cable because it was sticky but still cant index them.

I think its the cage or the hanger probaly the cage because the last ride before I changed the inner cable the cage was mauled when my chain got caught between the small cog and the frame.

Can anyone tell me what mech type I have to order to replace the factory installed mech?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
You can find the hanger here. http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/parts-accessories/spare-hangers Without looking at my spare hanger, I can't currently say which of the two listed, that you would require.

And this is the rear mech http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m786-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod83162 Provided that you haven't gone greater than a 42 rear sprocket, then you would require the medium cage length.

Before spending any money, I would suggest checking that your chain isn't damaged. I'm sure that you wouldn't require a new rear mech, as they are pretty much bullet proof. The cause, I am sure, is much simpler.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigclick

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks Eddie,
I tried another new chain and there was a slight difference in the issue but still not working.

This os what happens...
  • I disconnect the cable and set the hi lo stops
  • Manual movement of the mech through the gears is easy and always returns to the stop
  • I connect the cable and adjust the cable adjuster until the shifter moves the chain from from 10 to 9 (at this point the cable has moved it away from the stop when 10 should be selected)
  • when it gets up to 4 it grinds like its out of adjustment
  • when I action the shifter back all the way it wont drop into 10 even though the inner cable moves freely and is new.
The hanger looks ok really (no creases or paint crakle), the cage however looks like it has seen some action and there is some flex when i push or pull on it. So I was going to change the mech first and then the hanger

I use a sunrace 11 -42 cassette and an 18T front ring (both newish), so long cage?

I really appreciate any advise thanks.

BTW was looking at the Macina 271 2018 (tube battery) have you seen one at all?, any opinions?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Afraid that without actually going through process my self, I can't truly answer what might be going on. I'll have a play with my own set up at the weekend.

In the meantime, this clip is a very good resource of info that may well assist you.

Ref the cage, it sounds as though long could be preferable, but if you measure your existing cage, you should be able to find out.

If you do decide to buy a new hanger, you really require this tool as well. http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/parts-accessories/tools/minitool-for-ktm-dropout-3-pins

For me, the jury is out in respect of the tube battery bikes. Without actually trying one, I don't fancy the thought of swapping a battery mid ride, when you have to drop/remove a panel that is caked in mud. I currently feel that the semi integrated design is preferable. There is also the small matter of additional battery length when carrying a spare, and the prospect of having to buy an additional battery to match.
One thing that I am a convert to is 27.5+ I'm currently thinking of getting rid of the Lycan, and either replacing it with a plus size bike, or just sticking with the hard tail. The Fogo is such outrageous fun.

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
How easy is it to change the outer cable?
Do I need to open the motor casing or does it pull straight through the frame?

Also the hanger has a free movement (radial) of about five degrees with the wheel off but gets pinched when the wheel is installed. Is this right and do I need to position the hangar when I install the wheel?
Thanks

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
You would need to drop the motor to fit a new outer cable. I haven't ever needed to replace any cables, but have taken the motor out frequently enough. It is an easy enough job to do, but just take care not to pinch any of the wires. One of mine was pinched from new.

My hanger is bolted solid and has no movement, so I can only assume that your one must be loose.

Reactions: bigclick

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
You would need to drop the motor to fit a new outer cable. I haven't ever needed to replace any cables, but have taken the motor out frequently enough. It is an easy enough job to do, but just take care not to pinch any of the wires. One of mine was pinched from new.

My hanger is bolted solid and has no movement, so I can only assume that your one must be loose.
Cheers Eddie,
Mine wasn't pinched but the PVC outer sheathing was completely gone where it follows the curve on the motor bracket.

I didn’t need to take the motor out, I fished out the routing around the motor using a 12 inch cable tie and used that to pull through an old inner cable and in turn I will tape that to the new outer when it arrives.

Yes the hanger fixing nut was already loose when I used the KTM tool to remove it. I also think it’s twisted slightly.

If the hanger needs to be tight which position should I tighten it up in? Anticlockwise (down) or clockwise (up)
I would think anticlockwise?

Related Articles

Advertisers