KTM Macina Bold 2016 - 900 miles in

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Hi folks,

I just wanted to provide a bit of an update with regards to my KTM Macina Bold (2016 model).

Going quite well so far. Positives have been:

* Reliability - so far no problems.
* Schwalbe Big Apple tyres. They are retaining their pressure so well that I haven't even had to pump them up. Anticipating that I might have to do so in a month or so.
* Brakes. Not disc brakes, but so far I'm happy with them as I haven't had to spend any time cleaning the discs! Actual braking performance is just as good. I'll likely have to replace the brake pads a few hundred miles from now.
* Battery. I get approximately 46 miles per charge, using the motor exclusively on the highest power output.

Negatives:

* I get a bit of rattle over major bumps
* I hear a bit of creaking if pedalling while standing up (putting all of my weight on the pedals). I've mentioned this to Col and he has made a couple of suggestions, but as it isn't causing me any problems I've just left it for now.

Hoping that the good reliability will last. I'll post another update in a few months.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I remember likeing the Macina Bold when trying it at Kudos Daves promotion at Manifold Valley a few years ago.

I thought it the best one there for me, I'm surprised that I never bought one.

Reactions: Will Tinker

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
The tyres haven't retained pressure so well this morning - REAR PUNCTURE! Aaaargh!

The trick to never having a puncture seems to be NEVER to think about how long it's been since you last had a puncture!

On the plus side, I have no choice but to wait in a cafe and drink coffee until I get a phone call from the bike shop :-D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The tyres haven't retained pressure so well this morning - REAR PUNCTURE! Aaaargh!

The trick to never having a puncture seems to be NEVER to think about how long it's been since you last had a puncture!
:-D
I thought that the other day only one puncture in 3.5k miles on my 700C Norco then yesterday p.m preparing to go to work rear tyre was flat. Repaired it this morning ( pinch puncture) without wheel removal about 10mins work.
The day that I have to let a bike shop repair a puncture is the day I give up riding as the procedure is quite easy.

Reactions: Will Tinker

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
I thought that the other day only one puncture in 3.5k miles on my 700C Norco then yesterday p.m preparing to go to work rear tyre was flat. Repaired it this morning ( pinch puncture) without wheel removal about 10mins work.
The day that I have to let a bike shop repair a puncture is the day I give up riding as the procedure is quite easy.
Don't think I'd have stood a chance doing that by the side of the road - inner tube was decimated by a ruddy great nail!

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Just a quick update.

I have reached 2,100 miles on the bike and the Bosch Active Line motor is still running perfectly - no problems there.

Only problem remains with the Nexus Hub, in 6th gear. It's a minor issue though, so I haven't bothered trying to get it sorted.

Bike is still going great. I replaced the rear Big Apple tyre with the latest Big Ben, as it provides better puncture protection.

Bonus time is in November, so will decide in a few months whether to sell the bike after 1 year and refresh with a new one, or keep it for another year. So far, reliability is such that I'm more likely to hold onto it for another year.

Last edited:

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
will 46 miles app in turbo is that mixed terrain ? and is yours the 500w battery?

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
will 46 miles app in turbo is that mixed terrain ? and is yours the 500w battery?
The 500, yes.

I posted my commute (graphs, etc) on the forums here some time ago... will try to find it and include here. But yes, fairly mixed terrain (cycle path that has some bumpy bits, and road).

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Up to 2,550 miles on the Bosch Active Line. No issues at all so far with the motor.

Bike is still holding together just fine. The only issue remains one I encountered quite early on - the Nexus hub gear number 6 skips.

Pretty happy really. It's what I expected when I first purchased an eBike - a reliable way to commute, which I've now had for a year.

I can't believe I actually doubted myself for a moment when I was told by a certain popular Kalkhoff retailer that I was 'riding it wrong' and making the Impulse 2 break. What utter tosh. Almost drove me away from eBikes completely, so I'm glad I persevered.

My advice to any first-time buyers will now always be to ignore any sales pitch from local retailers, and come here to read-up on reliability and quality before making a purchase.

Reactions: redalexx

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
3,050 miles reached. Still ticking along nicely. I got the bike serviced last weekend, and the only work required was a bit of tightening and a bit of oil.

The rear mudguard fell off a few weeks ago, and I'm struggling to find someone in the UK who can source a direct replacement. Any ideas anyone?

The mudguard appears to be the SKS 26 Trekking 60mm Schwarz

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
A final update on my Macina Bold.

The bike/motor reached 4630 trouble-free miles under my ownership.

As I was approaching 2 years, and expiry on the warranty (at least for the motor) I decided to sell the bike. Hopefully the next owner will enjoy it as much as I have.

The Active Line motor was completely rock-solid the entire time, in stark contrast to the Impulse 2. For my next bike, I have chosen to stay with Bosch and have picked up a Cube Kathmandu Pro with the CX motor.