Kudos Alamo/ Emu/ Carrera crossfire

Blazs

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 16, 2017
Edinburgh
Dear All,
I am 50 year old 6ft, 14 stone reasonably fit male, riding a unassisted Giant CRS in Edinburgh. In the last few month I have been thinking of buying a pedelec, which would make more enjoyable ccyling in the hilly Edinburgh.
My ride is downhill to work and uphill home, approx 3-4 miles, depending on the route I take.
Some part of the ride is through forest path, with roots, some on graveled path, some on road.
I am looking for a pedelec with 700 c wheels max £1000 (cycle to work scheme).
I
I have been looking at the Kudos Alamo ( looks great , but impossible to find a thorough review on it), the carrera crossfire ( looks good, but heavy and engine cut off issues) and the emu ( weak battery?).
I would appreciate if any of you could share thoughts about the ebikes above ( or recommend another one?)

Thanks a lot,
Balazs

D

Deleted member 4366

Kudos are pretty good and would be my choice out of the three. Kudos use standard Chinese stuff, so spares, repairs and modifications are always going to be easy. Thin 700c tyres and rigid forks aren't going to be comfortable on forest trails, but if you're happy on your Giant, go for it. I would have thought the Rapide would be better. It's heavier, but has more power to compensate. Maybe the Mistral. In fact any would be OK.

For some reason, we always overlook Kudos, but they're good bikes and they've been around for quite a long time.

fredtop

Mar 28, 2017
St Helens
Dear All,
I am 50 year old 6ft, 14 stone reasonably fit male, riding a unassisted Giant CRS in Edinburgh. In the last few month I have been thinking of buying a pedelec, which would make more enjoyable ccyling in the hilly Edinburgh.
My ride is downhill to work and uphill home, approx 3-4 miles, depending on the route I take.
Some part of the ride is through forest path, with roots, some on graveled path, some on road.
I am looking for a pedelec with 700 c wheels max £1000 (cycle to work scheme).
I
I have been looking at the Kudos Alamo ( looks great , but impossible to find a thorough review on it), the carrera crossfire ( looks good, but heavy and engine cut off issues) and the emu ( weak battery?).
I would appreciate if any of you could share thoughts about the ebikes above ( or recommend another one?)

Thanks a lot,
Balazs
I am 47, 6 1" and 14 st
I have a crossfire e and couldn't recommend it enough. I find it great for hills.
I've had one cut out in 400 miles which wasn't really a problem as I knew you just turn it off and on again.
Haven't tried any other bikes so can't compare it to anything.
Personally I don't find the speed cut off a problem, it seems to taper off at 16.7 mph but I can easily cruise at 17.5mph on a flat without any motor assistance, although any faster than this and you'll start to get tired.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
50 miles on a 10amp battery???
easy, you only have to pedal faster than the cut off speed for 20 miles out of the 50.
Actually, it's doable.

AndyFromTheBrac

Dec 30, 2017
Taunton
Did this ever come to a decision? I’m in almost the same position with regard to the Alamo. I’ve a part road, but mainly towpath 7-mile commute (so some tracks but not too much mud). I use a Giant Roam at the moment which is fine with semi-road tyres.

I like it’s retro-vintage looks means I won’t have to dress like an ageing power ranger to ride it, too