Kudos Alamo/Stealth v G-tech e-bike.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The G-tech has had such an intensive advertising campaign,I wonder what pedelec members think of what a small manufacturer can achieve in competition?
What do Pedelec members think of the pros and cons between these e-bikes?
The specs of both bikes are readily available on the respective websites.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I think you'll get more feedback if you put more effort in, had you posted photos and links I might have commented, but I can't be bothered doing the work for you to answer your question, sorry.
Fair enough,but I purposely did not load the respective photos and specs because it could show partiality,I want people in the course of their own investigations to form their own opinions.
KudosDave

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Not so intensive an add campaign, I've only seen one paper add and nothing on the television.

Mind, I don't have newspapers or watch much tele, I only watch recorded stuff so I can wiz through the interruptions.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You would get points if:

The frame was not seagull poo colour
The tyres were Schwalbe Duranos
The mudguards were mounted closer to the tyres
You said what cassette gearing is - 11-34???

Are two brake cutoffs really necessary with a Bafang hub drive? Wouldn't just on the rear brake do?

I might be tempted if I was in the market for a lighter bike. For another £60 I would swap the tyres and put a Magura hydraulic on the front and still be under £1000.

The first project would be to find a nice spray can of matt black paint and fix the color scheme... :rolleyes:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
You would get points if:

The frame was not seagull poo colour
The tyres were Schwalbe Duranos
The mudguards were mounted closer to the tyres

Are two brake cutoffs really necessary with a Bafang hub drive? Wouldn't just on the rear brake do?

I might be tempted if I was in the market for a lighter bike. For another £60 I would swap the tyres and put a Magura hydraulic on the front and still be under £1000.

The first project would be to find a nice spray can of matt black paint and fix the color scheme... :rolleyes:
The idea is to compare the bikes?
KudosDave

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
G-tech:

Trendy matt white
Better looking mudguards
Black tyres (don't know about quality)
Less wires on the bars, yes no gears but also no cutoff wires
No gears but belt drive

Alamo:

Horrible colour
8 gears but we don't know which ones...
Bafang motor
better battery integration
Yucky Tyres (I have horrible memories of tyres that colour with sidewalls splitting in the sun after only a couple of months...) and cheap looking mudguards
Cheaper

Reactions: EddiePJ

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I spotted the stiff rusty chain on the Alamo.

Kudos website 2

Gtech website 7

Of course the Alamo is a more suitable bike for me in comparison to the Gtech, my perception is that the Gtech is a better quality product though, advertising done its job there.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I dont think you really can compare them. They are too different to each other and are in in different classes of Ebikes. The Alamo & Stealth are only really comparable to the Woosh Karoo.
The only bike i know of that could be directly compared to the G Tech, was the Freego Raptor...... and the G Tech was always going to sell better than the Raptor, because A) it looks far cooler and B) it gets national TV advertising.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
G-tech:

Trendy matt white
Better looking mudguards
Black tyres (don't know about quality)
Less wires on the bars, yes no gears but also no cutoff wires
No gears but belt drive

Alamo:

Horrible colour
8 gears but we don't know which ones...
Bafang motor
better battery integration
Yucky Tyres (I have horrible memories of tyres that colour with sidewalls splitting in the sun after only a couple of months...) and cheap looking mudguards
Cheaper
I think we need to keep in mind the Alamo has been built to sell at sub £1,000 and has some good specs considering the price. The GTech was built to sell at £1,699, GTech are dumping the bike as it had bombed. We probably should not compare the two.

• Informative
Reactions: IR772

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I think we need to keep in mind the Alamo has been built to sell at sub £1,000 and has some good specs considering the price. The GTech was built to sell at £1,699, GTech are dumping the bike as it had bombed. We probably should not compare the two.
True, but it's selling at this price and if they're not losing money then it will continue to be made.

Can't get my head around why there are so many on eBay without batteries.

• Agree

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
David, with due respect, you have not ridden the Gtech or the Alamo. I test rode the Gtech and I liked it but would it sell at £1,699? no. I can get a Cube Reaction for £1,699. The GTech's fork is rigid to the point I found it harsh and stiff, you know what I am talking about, it does not give. The battery capacity is tiny compared to the Cube or the Alamo.
The Gtech sells because the sales spiel 'simplicity is beauty' impresses a lot of customers but overtime, many will start asking themselves 'I wish my bike had gears, a bigger battery and a better fork.'.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I quite like the retro colour....1950s France 2cv. Lol.

Truth is its nice to have choice of colours. I don't like the colour of my Wisper...but it didn't stop me buying it..next bike though colour will be fairly important.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I should have learnt from Cameron,ask the people a simple question and you get an answer but not necessarily the one you want or expect,many treat it as a protest vote. There is so much hype on the G-tech on this forum I was hoping to introduce some thought provoking balance,I should have asked to compare with the Woosh Karoo.
I have just finishing PDI all the latest Kudos bikes and can honestly say the Stealth and Alamo are the smoothest electric bikes I have ever ridden. They ride like a non assisted bike,they have very low rolling resistance,they are very quiet but powerful enough,they require very little motor or rider input to maintain speed which suggests high ranges,the 11Ah battery should realistically achieve 40 miles plus....or is that 100 miles,hehe!!!
I thought I would have prefered the Stealth over the Alamo but the latter is a good looking bike in the flesh.
The choice of rim brakes was in keeping with the sports style of ride,this was never to be an off road bike,the brakes work very well.
I have clearly underpriced the bike,half the first batch are already sold and I commited to not increasing prices post Brexit. I think at this price level these bikes will be the benchmark for soon to be seen copies,the forerunner of all future sports e-bikes.
Many on this forum admired the Coboc and Freigeist bikes,the latter I thought was a wonderful looking bike but at euros 3000 plus?,this was an attempt to offer what I thought many Pedelec members wished for at less than £1k price level.
KudosDave

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
They are decent tyres on the Gtech, and depending on how you ride it, the battery can last a wile. But I'm biased as I own one!.

Don't miss the chain one bit and it's a shame my other bike has to have on (due to frame design I can't fit a belt).

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
If Kudos advertised the Stealth or Alamo on TV as much as the Gtech they would sell lots of them. The GTech will sell as people have heard of Gtech who makes good vacuum cleaners.

However, Without Kudos advertising on the TV, most people who have an Ebike or have looked at ebikes would choose the Kudos as it looks the better choice for most.

Where I live there's not many flat roads so I can't see how the single speed Gtech would be any good to me. If the gear is low enough for the steep hills here, it's too low for the gentler slopes and flat roads.

My Typhoon has 24 gears and I've used the top 16 on just one trip.

Come on .kudos Dave, film a lovely young blonde lady on a Kudos and show it on the TV many times per week. ;)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
'Lovely young blonde on a Kudos bike'....memories of doing max power shows with page 3 girls on the stands....going through the girl's portfolios to make a selection,tough job but someone had to do it,hehe....
KudosDave

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
'Lovely young blonde on a Kudos bike'....memories of doing max power shows with page 3 girls on the stands....going through the girl's portfolios to make a selection,tough job but someone had to do it,hehe....
KudosDave

You're getting too old to do that now. If you're ever find yourself in that position again, give me a shout, I'll come down and do it for you.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
You're getting too old to do that now. If you're ever find yourself in that position again, give me a shout, I'll come down and do it for you.
It's a phase I am going through,started about 16!!!!!!
Actually those girls were a nightmare to employ,constantly chasing after some premier football player,Katie Price (aka Jordan) had such a massive ego.
It was amusing at the time,fast cars and the girls sort of went together,it still happens but considered a bit tacky now,certainly not PC.today.
KudosDave

AndyEBike

Finding my (electric) wheels
If I lived in a second floor flat, had a 5 mile commute to work with no hills I'd buy the Gtech. If I had a garage for storage and a 5-10 mile hilly commute to work I'd probably go for either the Alamo or the Carerra Crossfire. The lightness and simplicity and belt drive would mean I could carry the Gtech upstairs easily without getting oily. The gears would be needed if I had any hills to contend with. (I live on the Devon/Cornwall border where the word "flat" is only used in relation to tyres with no air in them). At the moment the Crossfire would shade it on price - especially if it is still available at a discount - and on the fact that it is sold through Halfords which, despite being sometimes staffed by spotty youths with zero knowledge, is still a national chain that has a local shop I can return the bike to in the event of any problems and there is usually one member of staff in the bike department who knows what they are doing. A Kudos sold through a bike shop near me would be a more attractive option. Buying on the net isn't. I've got a Crossfire - purchased for all the reasons given above - and it's great although it is now my wife's bike as I got the ebike bug and bought a Cube 400 Cross. This from my local bike shop - always the best source if all else is equal. So I suppose the answer to your question is "horses for courses". I get the feeling that the Gtech is aimed at people who don't know much about bikes (especially Ebikes) All that "no complicated gears" stuff would suggest that. I would guess that their initial newspaper ads attracted interest but the silly price put off non bike people who thought "Bloody hell! £1800 for a push-bike!!!" and didn't take the bait. Dropping the price to under £1000 and the lifestyle TV ads has made it look much more attractive to those potential buyers and those that fit the profile of the urban flat-dweller I described above.