Kudos Cobra Alternative

manalog

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2013
Hi,
I decided after the Redbridge Show that the kudos Kobra is the one to buy so I phone up a Dealer and I was told it will be available in May. Yesterday I phoned up again and I was told its June, what are my choices ? I don't want to wait until my Cycle to work Voucher expires. Any recommendation? I had a look at the following but Im still undecided.
Kudos Sport - review is a bit mixed
Cylotricity - not so sure about quality
Woosh Sport- but they don't accept Cyclescheme Vouchers
Im looking at ebikes that looks like normal bikes. My Voucher is only £800 so Im a bit limited really. I really regret signing up as I just say a BH Emotion Sport in Classified.

Many Thanks,
G

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Unfortunately, I don't know too much about the Cycle-to-work scheme. Does it not allow purchase of second user machines?

It's a shame if it doesn't, because that Emotion Sport is excellent value for money. The Panasonic center drive is ultra-reliable, and that machine advertised in the classifieds would probably scrub-up good as new.

manalog

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2013
Cycle to work Scheme vouchers can only be used on Brand new bikes and the dealer has to be a member of the scheme. The BH Motion does looks v good value but my wife would kill me if I buy and then buy another on the cycle to work scheme.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about the Cycle-to-work scheme. Does it not allow purchase of second user machines?

It's a shame if it doesn't, because that Emotion Sport is excellent value for money. The Panasonic center drive is ultra-reliable, and that machine advertised in the classifieds would probably scrub-up good as new.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Have you tried dealing direct with Kudos cycles Kudos Dave is a very helpfull chap!
Hi,
I decided after the Redbridge Show that the kudos Kobra is the one to buy so I phone up a Dealer and I was told it will be available in May. Yesterday I phoned up again and I was told its June, what are my choices ? I don't want to wait until my Cycle to work Voucher expires. Any recommendation? I had a look at the following but Im still undecided.
Kudos Sport - review is a bit mixed
Cylotricity - not so sure about quality
Woosh Sport- but they don't accept Cyclescheme Vouchers
Im looking at ebikes that looks like normal bikes. My Voucher is only £800 so Im a bit limited really. I really regret signing up as I just say a BH Emotion Sport in Classified.

Many Thanks,
G

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi ML
We do offer Cyclescheme purchases, and you can get a quote on-line from our website. However, with your voucher at only £800 none of our standard bikes could be bought. If you give me a call perhaps we can work out an ex-demo bike through the scheme.

The problem is that Cyclescheme can charge a retailer up to 15% of the price of the bike. With some retailers operating on a mark-up of just 20% for some brands the incentive to supply just isn't there - and you would want both supply with willing service and after-care.

Ettica

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2008
Heskin Lancashire
My Voucher is only £800 so Im a bit limited really. I really regret signing up as I just say a BH Emotion Sport in Classified.
Am I right in saying that the ownership of the bike remains with the employer until they agree a nominal fee at the end then it's yours?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Manalog....Sorry we don't take cycle to work scheme,it just pushes the admin costs up too much. The Cobra,Tornado and Arriba bikes were definitely shipped this week so will be PDI'd first week June.
We have one Sport model left out of a batch of 180 units,the one left will be on special deal because its been out as a demonstrator,unfortunately I cannot buy any more Sport models,it was very good value but the manufacturer has ceased trading,many customers were very happy with the Sport bike.
Good luck with your search,welcome to ebikes.
KudosDave (returned from Eden !!!!!!!!!!!!)

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Am I right in saying that the ownership of the bike remains with the employer until they agree a nominal fee at the end then it's yours?
That's correct Ettica.

manalog

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2013
There are three options after 1 year
1 Give the bike back to your Employer - I don't thinks so!
2 Pay a fee, I think 25% - Maybe
3 Extend the hire by another 3 years and pay next to nothing at the end of the lease - This is the option I will go for.

I heard that the scheme is not as good as it used to be and a lot of people are getting put off. However, to me this is still a good deal as the cost is spread over a year and its tax free and interest free.

I also found out that I can buy just the conversion kit via the scheme, so my option is to convert an existing bike or buy a mid range bike.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I put it to you ,that you may get a better deal if you can pay upfront, I know some can't manage that financially but the salary sacrifice scheme makes you pay full price,and I see little benefit in that, plus you will need to pay for the upkeep of a bike that is not yours?

still each to their own,

manalog

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2013
I put it to you ,that you may get a better deal if you can pay upfront, I know some can't manage that financially but the salary sacrifice scheme makes you pay full price,and I see little benefit in that, plus you will need to pay for the upkeep of a bike that is not yours?

still each to their own,
This is also one of the reasons why some people called it cycle scam because of the above plus they charge the retailer up to 15%. There is also a delay getting the bike therefore you are hiring an invisible bike! Oh and don't forget to insure it.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Manalog...I think what gets to the retailers is that the paperwork is so complex,to administer what should be a simple scheme, that we have to use the Cycle to Work Scheme Company to process it. That Company is effectively a parasite on the scheme,they charge 10% plus vat just to push bits of paper around!
KudosDave

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
If we are talking about cyclescheme for independant they charge 10% inc. VAT thus slightly under 10%. However there are schemes set up by organisations themselves which sometimes charge nothing and in other cases a few %. We decided that it was worth being involved but always tell the customer that we can offer them a better price if they pay upfront.