Lacing a hub motor to rim

Jonnybee_89

Just Joined
Jun 17, 2018
I have an old bmc hub motor very similar to a mac hub motor that I need lacing to a wheel..im struggling to find s shop that will do it for me unless I source the spokes and rim can any one help with this
Thanks

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Lacing wheels
That’s something I’ve always wanted to do but always chicken out
I can rebuild gearbox’s etc but wheel lacing lol
But I have a local bike shop that’s been doing it for 30 yrs or more so I will keep him in money for now
Not that this helps you
I can’t believe thou no one will sort it out for you

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
First thing to do is buy a suitable twin wall rim, lots of choice out there, depending on your requirements. Don't forget to count the spoke holes in your hub.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Buy a twin wall rim and make sure the seller can tell you the ERD (effective rim dia), this the internal rim dia inc the rims thickness, usually about 4 - 5 mm greater then the internal dia you can measure.
Once you know the ERD use an online spoke length calc site to get the spoke length.

https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

If you have difficulty or want to double check your measurements ask again on here.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Lacing wheels
That’s something I’ve always wanted to do but always chicken out
I'm exactly the same, I've always thought (and I think been told too) that you need to build a lot of wheels before you get any good at it. That's what has really put me off even trying.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Knowing the area you live in may help.
If anyone was near to me I would lace/true a rim for someone for a small remuneration.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm exactly the same, I've always thought (and I think been told too) that you need to build a lot of wheels before you get any good at it. That's what has really put me off even trying.
It took me about 3 wheel builds to be able to get one trued well, best to practice on and old wheel a good few times. It's one of these tasks that is very satisfying and is a good way to chill out if you have no interruptions 30 - 60 mins should have one trued from a loose lacing.

• Offensive Language
Reactions: lyme and Fat Rat

lyme

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Staffordshire
Its something I am looking to learn as just purchased a Park truing stand and dishing tool as need a few sets of wheels for my road bikes and have a rear hub motor wheel to build into a different size rim. Roger Mussons book is excellent to learn from.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Its something I am looking to learn as just purchased a Park truing stand and dishing tool as need a few sets of wheels for my road bikes and have a rear hub motor wheel to build into a different size rim. Roger Mussons book is excellent to learn from.
Park have lots of good videos on bike maintenance on youtube. I would imagine they have got some on wheel building which might be helpful to you.

Reactions: lyme

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
That's nonsense.

My first wheel I've ever built is still going strong. I've since built about 15 including two wheels with hub motors in them, one front and one rear. All are still going strong.

Follow this and you're golden:-

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Just take your time. I like to lace it lace it one evening, true it vertically the next and true it laterally the last evening.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers