Lapierre Or Cube

N961

Just Joined
Jun 17, 2018
Hi I’m new here, (sorry about the spelling I’m dyslexic so I have difficulty spelling and reading so please bear with me)

iv not been on a bike for a minimum of 15 years could be longer lol iv over wate and unfit, I hate the Jim,
I’m looking for a bike that I can go to work on and go out with the kid at weekends when thy get abit older (3&1), I prefer the look of
Cube Acid Hybrid ONE 500
But my Local bike shop said this bike may be better Lapierre OVERVOLT EXPLORER 800,
I don’t mind the look of this 1,
I’m not into mountain biking I just like the look,
Both have Bosch Motors and 500w battery’s
I live in Paignton and work in Brixham it’s 4.8miles each way and it’s uphill both ways to the 1/2 way point, it will be mainly tarmac with 1 bit along a path by the beach
Could any recommend 1 of these bike or suggest a bike thanks

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
i rate my cube highly nice build quality no issues in 1200 miles . No experience with overvolt but looks a decent spec either should suit your needs

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Cube Acid motor is slightly less powerful than Overvolt 50nm vs 60nm, but is lot smoother and quieter motor. For 90% of your ride power difference will not matter, remaining 10% Acid will have to climb at slightly slower speed.

Where Overvolt shines is all the extras. Quality mudguards, fixed lights, rack, kick stand and comfortable commuter/trekking riding position. You could add extras to Cube but it will cost in money and time. I'm going through same process setting trek powerfly up as commuter/trekking bike, its takes lot time and compromises, mudguards aren't as good as Overvolt and no fixed lights.

All those extras make world of difference especially when commuting.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
And apart from all that you live in my favourite part of the country I visit there at least 3 times a year without fail

And in answer to your question it would be the cube for me out of them pair

N961

Just Joined
Jun 17, 2018
Thanks for the info, I’m going to my local bike shop tomorrow to test ride a couple of bike as iv never been on a ebike thay have the overvolt but don’t have the cube (if I order the cube it will be online) will see how I get on with them

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Thanks for the info, I’m going to my local bike shop tomorrow to test ride a couple of bike as iv never been on a ebike thay have the overvolt but don’t have the cube (if I order the cube it will be online) will see how I get on with them
If your this unsure you should try and ride both and at least some others too
Get a feel for what’s about and what suits you feel wise and I don’t mean just the power plants I mean frame geometry as well as overall package

It’s ok us saying this and that but it really is a personal thing that only you in the end can chose
Good hunting

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Hello N961 and welcome to the gang
I have a lapierre and love it.
I'd ride all the bike that you can that are within your budget and then make the choice on the one that fits you best.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Lots of people buy a mountain bike then set about converting it to a trekking bike by the addition of racks. lights, mudguards, etc.

Seems barmy to me, as observed upthread conversion costs and is never as neat as a factory job.

Requirements can change, which is a different thing, but it makes no sense buying the wrong tool for the job you want it to do.

Also bear in mind a trekking/commuter bike can handle cycle paths and well-made trails and bridleways.

The limit is governed by your bike handling skills, not the bike.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Lots of people buy a mountain bike then set about converting it to a trekking bike by the addition of racks. lights, mudguards, etc.

Seems barmy to me, as observed upthread conversion costs and is never as neat as a factory job.

Requirements can change, which is a different thing, but it makes no sense buying the wrong tool for the job you want it to do.

Also bear in mind a trekking/commuter bike can handle cycle paths and well-made trails and bridleways.

The limit is governed by your bike handling skills, not the bike.
While converting hardtail to commuter/trekking bike is compromise there are a few pluses. In my case bike will spend most of its life on road but I also wanted option of tackling some long distance MTB rides with my son. I now have 2 capable eMTB for us to use.

I've ended up with more capable trekking/MTB bike than Moustache Samedi 27 X Road 7 for lot less money, even with cost of all extras ie, mudguards, rack, seat, handlebars.

Reactions: oyster