Last season Ebike deals (pref Cube)

monty77uk

Just Joined
May 31, 2018
..was going to go down the cyclescheme route but it seems I can only use the voucher for full price 2018 models (anyone know why??) so seeing if I can get a better deal on a 2017 model from somewhere - what sites should I be checking out for those?

Basically a 2018 Cube Reaction Race 500 will be costing me £2050 incl. the tax perks of the scheme so if I can get the same bike (or better) for that money or less then surely it'd be worth me just buying outright.

Flaws in my plan? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Adam

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
..was going to go down the cyclescheme route but it seems I can only use the voucher for full price 2018 models (anyone know why??)
The cycle to work schemes take around a 10% cut. So if the retailer is already discounting the bike, they might end up running at a loss, so:
Some only let you use the voucher for current full price bikes
Others let you use it, but they add 10% on to the discounted price
Others don't care, and WILL let you use the voucher on discounted bikes.
so you have to shop around, see what's available and ask.

Also, most schemes are up to £1000. Some (and this might employers, rather than the bike shops) therefore won't let you buy a bike that's more than that, but again, others will let you make up the difference.

monty77uk

Just Joined
May 31, 2018
The cycle to work schemes take around a 10% cut. So if the retailer is already discounting the bike, they might end up running at a loss, so:
Some only let you use the voucher for current full price bikes
Others let you use it, but they add 10% on to the discounted price
Others don't care, and WILL let you use the voucher on discounted bikes.
so you have to shop around, see what's available and ask.

Also, most schemes are up to £1000. Some (and this might employers, rather than the bike shops) therefore won't let you buy a bike that's more than that, but again, others will let you make up the difference.
I see, makes sense that they take a cut now. Nobody I've asked so far will let me use a voucher with a discount, or apply a fee (usually the discount) to the purchase.

My employer have confirmed I can top it up so non issue there.

This one is a good example of what I'm on about:

https://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/m12b123s147p16333/CUBE-Reaction-Hybrid-HPA-SL-500-2017

..it's cheaper than the 2018 Race version with the voucher scheme. Componentry seems better but are there other differences that I'm not seeing.

Cheers!

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
This one is a good example of what I'm on about:
!
You aren't wrong. Sometimes its cheaper to get something on a discount somewhere else, rather than buy at full price at somewhere where they accept the cycle to work vouchers.

When I bought my last bike on the scheme, I also wanted a bunch of accessories. I was careful that I only bought those things that you hardly ever see discounted much, like a specific topeak rack I wanted, specific clipless pedals etc. Stuff like helmets, lights and clothes, its usually going to work out cheaper searching the net for discounted stuff (unless you're a fashion victim and just HAVE to get the latest clothing styles and colours)

monty77uk

Just Joined
May 31, 2018
So it turns out retailers have a hard time getting firm stock from Cube on last season stock so was never able to track one down, so you need to call before you get excited!

Good news is that I got a good deal on a 2018 Reaction Hybrid SL 500 black edition (19"/29er) and will be seeing it very soon! Was a bit more than I wanted to spend ideally but seemed worth it for the spec and concealed tube design which looks very stealthy in the photos.

Cheers all!

Reactions: Parky

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
It does look very stealthy in the photos however in real life and viewing from less sympathetic angles the battery is still rather bulky there is still room for improvement I think

monty77uk

Just Joined
May 31, 2018
It does look very stealthy in the photos however in real life and viewing from less sympathetic angles the battery is still rather bulky there is still room for improvement I think
You're not wrong!! Had it a couple of weeks now but I still love it. Dang this thing is heavy though. Turbo w/dongle is addictive :)

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Yup they are heavy you wouldn’t want to pedal far without assist for sure ! I get by without a dongle found by moving the flag I can get up to 16.4 mph before the assist cuts out which suits me . I tried a dongle but the battery life dropped dramatically, yes it was fun but didn’t feel I was getting any fitter . I was hoping to get fit enough to ride my regular bike but there’s no sign of that happening any time soon !

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you must have the wrong gearing for a dongle as you spin them cranks at 120rpm that is one hell of a work out ;)

a dongle will half the range of a batt but my 2014 batt is still going but lost about 25% over that amount of time so they do last for the price.

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
I run 20 teeth on the front sprocket rather than the standard 15 teeth . I was running out of gears all too often . I now find I rarely use the 11 tooth rear sprocket . Using the dongle did indeed half my range . I now only charge my battery once mid week so hopefully battery will last longer . I was charging 3 times a week with dongle . I’ve adopted my cadence rate to suit the cut off

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i charge my batts after every ride tho my bike is just for fun and not to go to work on.;)

Reactions: Plodder Bob