Latest rear wheel conversion kit from Cyclotricity

D

Deleted member 4366

You can get DNP free-wheels with 11T top gear. The 8 speed ones are a bit too wide. They can be fitted with a spacer, but then you need a fair dish in your wheel. I prefer 7-speed.

You can find them here or other places if you search hard:
http://elfkw.at/shop

C

Cyclezee

Quick update. The kit is still working perfectly. It still impresses me every time I ride it. I am slowly upgrading the bike around the kit. Have upgraded the discs to 203mm for extra stopping power which also allows me to fit the rear caliper which now clears the motor, just. Have ordered a suspension seat post to take the worst out of pot holes and tree roots. I have got a better freewheel with a 13T lowest cog as the current 14T doesn't allow me to put any power into the pedals over about 22mph. I would rather have got an 11T but the lowest I could find in a freewheel (would have been no problem getting a cassette with 11T) was the 13T. If anyone knows where I could get lower than a 13T in a freewheel please let me know. I haven't fitted the new freewheel yet. I bought a freewheel remover but it would not fit over the 14mm axle. Tried drilling it oiut but it is hardened steel and just wrecked the drill bit. I have ordered a different one from Evans Cycles. It says it is a Park tool with thin walls so hopefully it will go over the 14mm axle.
Hi Mark,

Cyclezee have DNP 11 to 32 screw on freewheels in stock, 7, 8 and 9 speed.

CardiffMark

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2014
Hi Mark,

Cyclezee have DNP 11 to 32 screw on freewheels in stock, 7, 8 and 9 speed.
That's good news John. Thought I was going to have to order from overseas. Don't know anyone else in the UK who has these.
The 7 speed is the biggest I can get in with the size of my motor.
As soon as I work out how to get the old freewheel off, I will order one. The latest freewheel remover i just got, Park tool FR1.2 won't pass over the 14mm axle. The end where the spanner goes on reduces down to about 10mm. I think I will need to take it to a light engineering firm to get them to drill it out. It is hardened steel and my drill bit (ex drill bit) won't touch it. What do you use to get freewheels off when a 14mm axle is being used?
Would a better quality drill bit go through hardened steel?
Cheers John.

firebladeboy

Just Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Just a quick note to say thanks for this everyone. Very informative for an e-bike newbie like me. I've ordered a Copenhagen Wheel for my bike in the US (married an American) but was wondering what to do down here in Wales. This sounds like a good option for my Cannondale mountain bike here which I use for 15 mile one-way rides through VERY hilly countryside.

Ash77

Jul 18, 2015
ipswich
Very informative.
I was going to go for the the 1000watt but went for the 500 watt from electric bike conversions.
Fitting was pretty strait forward just need to shim the disk ever so slightly.

Attachments

Benji

Jun 11, 2014
Thought I'd bounce a conversion idea off the guys in this thread to see if you think my idea is nuts enough. My current bike is a raleigh shopper with front hub. 20mph for 15 miles with no peddle assistance which D8evh built for me. It has been a huge success and is probably equally as harebrained as my new idea.
I now want something that goes alittle further, a little faster whilst being able to handle slightly more off road conditions.
I love retro bikes and I have my heart set on the idea of a beach cruiser style bike. I know its not exactly an offroad bike but with the cyclotricity 1000W motor, fat tyres and spring suspension I think it could be a fun ride.

I see this link but Im still not a huge fan of the purpose built bikes.
Plus I think I can do it cheaper but it gives you a good idea of what Im after:
http://futuristictech.co.uk/products/black-on-black-fat-tyre-beachcruiser-electric-bike

The only problem I can think of right now is do I have the clearance I need to fit the wheel and will I be ok without the Disc brakes? I have attached a picture of the sort of thing I am talking about. These bikes generally have peddle back brakes but the new wheel replacement would remove that so I would have to fit a standard a rear V brake (I think there is a hole there I'm not sure).
I would also go for the 48v pannier battery with 1000W kit.
So what do you guys think... I know this was designed for a mountain bike but I just want to sit back and cruise country roads :)

Attachments

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
TWhat do you use to get freewheels off when a 14mm axle is being used?
My way:

1. take off the bearing cover
2. place the wheel on a recipient large enough to catch all the ball bearings then lift the free wheel off
3. unscrew the inside of the freewheel using a bottom bracket/crank wrench

You can reassemble the unmounted freewheel on the bench. A bit of grease holds the ball bearings in place while you place them on the bearing shoulder.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Thought I'd bounce a conversion idea off the guys in this thread to see if you think my idea is nuts enough. My current bike is a raleigh shopper with front hub. 20mph for 15 miles with no peddle assistance which D8evh built for me. It has been a huge success and is probably equally as harebrained as my new idea.
I now want something that goes alittle further, a little faster whilst being able to handle slightly more off road conditions.
I love retro bikes and I have my heart set on the idea of a beach cruiser style bike. I know its not exactly an offroad bike but with the cyclotricity 1000W motor, fat tyres and spring suspension I think it could be a fun ride.

I see this link but Im still not a huge fan of the purpose built bikes.
Plus I think I can do it cheaper but it gives you a good idea of what Im after:
http://futuristictech.co.uk/products/black-on-black-fat-tyre-beachcruiser-electric-bike

The only problem I can think of right now is do I have the clearance I need to fit the wheel and will I be ok without the Disc brakes? I have attached a picture of the sort of thing I am talking about. These bikes generally have peddle back brakes but the new wheel replacement would remove that so I would have to fit a standard a rear V brake (I think there is a hole there I'm not sure).
I would also go for the 48v pannier battery with 1000W kit.
So what do you guys think... I know this was designed for a mountain bike but I just want to sit back and cruise country roads :)

Heres my cruiser. Front wheel drive, 4 speed shimano hub, V-brakes, ape hanger bars, balloon tyres, and a comfy saddle. Built from a Trek Clyde (hard to find but worth seeking out, as easy conversion).

Last edited:
Reactions: electrickery

skylinefeb75

Sep 27, 2015
Manchester, Sunny England
That's good news John. Thought I was going to have to order from overseas. Don't know anyone else in the UK who has these.
The 7 speed is the biggest I can get in with the size of my motor.
As soon as I work out how to get the old freewheel off, I will order one. The latest freewheel remover i just got, Park tool FR1.2 won't pass over the 14mm axle. The end where the spanner goes on reduces down to about 10mm. I think I will need to take it to a light engineering firm to get them to drill it out. It is hardened steel and my drill bit (ex drill bit) won't touch it. What do you use to get freewheels off when a 14mm axle is being used?
Would a better quality drill bit go through hardened steel?
Cheers John.

Mark, which model of display did you go for on your kit?

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
I've mentioned this before but the amazing Cyclotricity came all the way from Aldershot to my house in Stoke and completely overhauled my Stealth bike because of several mechanical faults I had. Not only did they replace everything with updated parts but also fitted a rear 500 watt wheel which can do 24mph on the throttle. After a couple of months of riding with the 500 watt I realised it wasn't really for me so I converted back to a front 250 watt and now have the 500 watt for sale.

It is important to note that Cyclotricity are now building their bikes in Britain with a lot of parts sourced from Britain and are taking the quality seriously.

skylinefeb75

Sep 27, 2015
Manchester, Sunny England
I've mentioned this before but the amazing Cyclotricity came all the way from Aldershot to my house in Stoke and completely overhauled my Stealth bike because of several mechanical faults I had. Not only did they replace everything with updated parts but also fitted a rear 500 watt wheel which can do 24mph on the throttle. After a couple of months of riding with the 500 watt I realised it wasn't really for me so I converted back to a front 250 watt and now have the 500 watt for sale.

It is important to note that Cyclotricity are now building their bikes in Britain with a lot of parts sourced from Britain and are taking the quality seriously.
Aardvark5, are you selling a complete Stealth 500W Bike?

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Aardvark5, are you selling a complete Stealth 500W Bike?
No, just the rear wheel.
Cyclotricity were wonderful with me and offered the upgrade free of charge but (and I know I can restrict) I felt uncomfortable being able to reach those speeds on throttle alone (if you've got it you use it) and there was also a couple of times when I ran out of juice at the worst possible moment and pedaling up a bank was hard because of the weight. I've now got two Trek bikes (7.5FX and 4300) with Cyclotricity 250 watt electric kits and the Stealth is in bits.

yojimbo

Feb 3, 2016
My way:

1. take off the bearing cover
2. place the wheel on a recipient large enough to catch all the ball bearings then lift the free wheel off
3. unscrew the inside of the freewheel using a bottom bracket/crank wrench

You can reassemble the unmounted freewheel on the bench. A bit of grease holds the ball bearings in place while you place them on the bearing shoulder.

On my 1kw motor, I undid the motor cover housing and pulled it off the motor, leaving the axle behind on the motor obviously, then I screwed that to a plywood sheet and just used the normal remover to remove the freewheel.