LCD Display from Bafung (and the size of it)

fusion.wind

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2017
Scotland
Hello,

the display from Bafung (and others it seems) is quite large. I've replaced a small, roughly 5cm diameter speedo which the display was more than adequate for its requirement with the monster which takes up a huge amount of handlebar real estate. For something that gets glimpsed at some times for seed, and in my case also contains the numbers 0-3 depending on PAS (which lets be honest is either 'on' or 'off') it is mighty overkill - ok, and a bit of a battery guage. As I understand too, the LCD is only a display getting some and sending a bit of the serial comms from the controller so there isn't much brains to it.

Are there any small alternatives for bafung? IE, the Garmin edge 25 (with GPS even), is 2.3x2.3cm and that is plenty big enough.

D

Deleted member 4366

The display is the control panel. It has the switch for the controller and it sends a lot of information to the controller, like speed limit, no. of PAS levels, power of each PAS level, voltage cut offs, battery level. It's not just a dumb display. There's a large micro-processor inside that does a lot of control functions.

Without the LCD panel you can probably still get the controller to work, but I can image that it would default to parameters that wouldn't be suitable, and you wouldn't be able to change PAS levels.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

fusion.wind

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2017
Scotland
There's a large micro-processor inside that does a lot of control functions.
Without the LCD panel you can probably still get the controller to work
Cheers for the reply. In a little further searching after posting, I came across this article:

http://www.poweredride.com/info/dump-your-bafang-display-for-stealth-and-better-display-options

And interestingly, sums up your response:
weblink said:
If any of your controller settings are set to 'by displays command' you may want to change it because you DON'T HAVE A DISPLAY!
Alas, I'm trying to keep everything within warranty...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Cut the wire between the control buttons and the LCD, extend the wire so that you can put the LCD in a bag or box somewhere out of sight. You won't know what assistance level you are in by sight you will have to rely on your memory but you get your handlebars back.

I have ranted in the past on this forum about my desire for a wireless (or even wired) control button setup with a simple LED display of assistance level. We just need to convince the Chinese...

For the KT controllers the LCD 5 is the most discrete at just under 8 cm wide. The LCD 6 is vertical and seems compact but no dimensions... It also has a cadence display which is useful for us mid-drive riders.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Maybe if they made the mounting bracket multi-position, so the owner could decide to fit it under the handlebars. There it would be less prone to damage and allow the bike to be turned upside down for repairs, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Wheel-E

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Maybe if they made the mounting bracket multi-position, so the owner could decide to fit it under the handlebars. There it would be less prone to damage and allow the bike to be turned upside down for repairs, etc.
The display can easily be rotated. All the Bafang displays I've seen (my own included) can be tightened so that they're firm enough not to dislodge through normal vibration, yet can be easily rotated if/when you need to turn the bike upside down for repairs.

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
For the KT controllers the LCD 5 is the most discrete at just under 8 cm wide. The LCD 6 is vertical and seems compact but no dimensions... It also has a cadence display which is useful for us mid-drive riders.
Dimensions for the LCD6 can be found here.

This bluetooth display replacement would suit me. I could use an old phone and take it off the bike when not needed. Has anyone used this? Or knows where to get hold of one?

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing and D8ve

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

fusion.wind

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2017
Scotland
Is the bafung protocol, more or less a standard? If you got the display, would it need a firmware uploaded or plug and play?

LCD6 said:
12. Use five-line of digital communication, the instrument has good compatibility and interchangeability, different instruments can be conducted the data exchanges and parameters copy directly;

13. Host part and operation buttons of the meter use sub-structure design, making the operation to be more reasonable and convenient;