Learner Drivers :o)

martx007

Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2008
Wigan, United Kingdom
[video=youtube;7fCGM0lyFaY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fCGM0lyFaY&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]

A reminder to be careful out there. I shouted as soon the door started to open which i think worked and perhaps should have given a wider berth.

Martin

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
What's the law on parking on a cycle lane?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
What's the law on parking on a cycle lane?
We know what the law is on parking on the footway!

To give a wider berth, you'd have had to swerve well into the main vehicle lane, so would that be an acceptable reaction, liability-wise?

Jeremy's opinion needed...... But Jeremy's no longer extant, is he?

This forum's going down the tubes (imho, of course).

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
We know what the law is on parking on the footway!

To give a wider berth, you'd have had to swerve well into the main vehicle lane, so would that be an acceptable reaction, liability-wise?

Jeremy's opinion needed...... But Jeremy's no longer extant, is he?

This forum's going down the tubes (imho, of course).
Well this suggests the driver wouldn't be at fault if you swerved into the middle of the road and got wiped out whilst trying to avoid the door.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
What a plonker that driver was - glad you didn't get knocked off :eek:.

Yeah I'd have said so. Cars (especially vans) park with 2 wheels on pavements and the others on cycle lanes (or even with their vehicles crossing cycle lanes into the main roadway) round here all the time.

Unless you come up on them round a blind corner I just pull out into the main flow of traffic well ahead of the vehicle and s*d the grief from agaitated drivers... if they want to overtake me and can then fine else I stay in the middle of the main road lane off the cycle lane till beyond the offending vehicle and cut back in soon as I'm passed. Most drivers accept it, occasionally others annoyed - but tough.

It's perfectly defensible behaviour for avoiding an obstruction and would be same if there were works cutting off cycle lane... it isn't a useable lane if it's blocked. End of.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think I'd have stopped and given a polite mouthful to the instructor who's supposed to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Agree Dave, Highway code rule 240 and 243...if there was a qualified instructor in that car he needs his license to be revoked.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Oh and rule 140 ;)