Legality of Unrestricted Mode

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
Ezee now produce a number of bikes (Torq, Forte etc...) with an Unrestricted Mode and Wisper will follow soon with the 905Se.

However, my understanding of the law, is that to remain exempt from motor vehicle registration, one of the requirements is that you cannot exceed 15 mph under power.

Does anyone know if e-bikes with an unrestricted mode needs to be registered, insured, etc... If so, this would damper my enthusiasm for this feature.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
All our bikes are delivered road legal and limited to 15.5 mph. I would not suggest taking the limiter off unless you have plenty of offroad land to use the bike on.
Dear Scott

That leaves me a bit confused as to what the Off-road TURBO option is on your Forte and Forza models. I confess that I simply assumed it was a button that put the bike in an unrestricted mode. I should be grateful for more information.

BTW Where would I find out about your London dealers and demos?

Thank you in advance.

Cheung

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Answering meanwhile for Scott, Cheung, here's the link for a test ride at 50cycle's London premises.

Test Rides

See your PMs again.

Last edited:

mabsey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2007
When I asked 50 Cycles about the turbo modes options I was told simply, that there is a little connecter at the base of the bike that you can pull apart which removed the limiter so not so much of a button, but I've read some have put it as an option on the handlebars although I dont know how legal that would be seen considering they couldn't prove you had you finger on the button.

Mabsey