Li-Pol?

Nick H

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 25, 2012
Hello colleagues
I am still looking to upgrade my very old LaFree; had hoped to spend no more than 1K but am now looking at the Burlington Volt. I am however concerned about Li-Pol batteries and the reported fire risk. I would appreciate any comment regarding the bike, motor and of course battery.
Thanks in advance for any advice or comment
Nick

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Hi Nick,

I have a Lithium Polymer battery. Whilst no electrical expert, I've had no problems at all, and I have ridden in heavy rain, snow etc.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't worry. The e-bike lithium polymer batteries are a very different thing from those used in RC models, power tools and the like. Firstly ours have sophisticated BMS (battery management systems) built in which include the advisable protections. Secondly, polymer refers to the method of cell construction, not the chemistry, and it's the latter that is crucial where fire risk is concerned. E-bike batteries all use the safest chemistries now, indeed the only time there was ever a proven fire risk with e-bike batteries was before we had polymer construction. That was roughly prior to 2007 and was due to the use of cobalt only cathodes in the cells, something no e-bike battery manufacturer now does.

Having said that, be aware that all battery types and constructions have a potential to cause problems if maltreated or if they develop a fault. Therefore it's a wise precaution to only charge a large battery like our e-bike ones when present and awake. Leaving such a battery of any chemistry or type charging while no-one is present or everyone is asleep isn't advisable.