Lidl Cycling Gear

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
They have recently opened a new store close to me in Spain but I don't know when they're having cycling gear in again. It's news to me but it seems that it is a legal requirement to wear a helmet here if one wants to cycle on the roads though dedicated cycle paths and promenades are ok.

Evidently, I have repeatedly broken the law here previously due to my ignorance so not wishing to be regarded as a criminal, I looked at helmets in a couple of the huge proliferation of cycling shops here but felt that €45 - 125 was a bit more than I'd like to pay. My local ferreteria has some at €20 so I might stretch to one of those!

Cycling seems to have really taken off in a big way round these parts in recent times and I seem to encounter at least one pelaton every time I drive anywhere. Curiously, on checking out the stock in two local shops, a good 25% of the display bikes were EAPCs, mostly top-end stuff but including one or two models featuring the Shimano Steps system. Most of the rest was Bosch-powered stuff from a variety of manufacturers including Moustache and the Spanish outfit, BH. The elderly are buying them as fast as the shop can get stock, I was told in one shop.

In the flat, coastal area here, I can manage fairly well with manual power most of the time so I don't need an EAPC very often. I think the sea air probably helps with my breathing too.

I shall re-visit England again shortly though I can't say I'm looking forward to it with all the new taxes and the prospect of Sharia Law looming:D.

If the UK decides to leave the EU, I shall probably make Spain my permanent home and avoid the inevitable recession that will occur in Britain. Ireland might be nice for half the year or possibly Scotland, should their people opt to divorce themselves from the plutocratic apology for a government that continues to exist in Westminster and gain EU membership in the same way as other countries have done in similar circumstances.

Must buy that helmet!

Tom

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Lidl will have cycling gear on offer from the 21st;) http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=795
Thanks for the heads up.

I know saddles and the comfort thereof are totally subjective. However, FWIW after going through a vast quantity of (often expensive) saddles I've settled on these Wittkop Medicus ones from Lidl as the best ever for me.

Got them on both my bikes now and will try to get one for the third bike on Monday.

I find the middle width one by far the best for me. They call it the trekking version. I tried the wide city one but although it looked comfy it didn't suit my sit bones. You can usually find these saddles on ebay anytime, but at more than double the price. I guess that says something.

To me the fancy saddles these half decent MTB's come specced with may look the part, but feel like sitting on a sliver of granite to me .. and that's after I've shed over two stones since January!!!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The Helmet looks interesting with a decent light built in for winter use. I saw a helmet test on tv a while back where they tested a Boardman Pro Carbon (for which I paid about £80 for mine) against a budget one which I think was from Aldi, but not sure..
Anyway, the test showed both to be similar and well within the safety guidelines . No obvious advantage to buying the dearer one..

Reactions: stumpy150

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Thanks for the head up.....work stand for me :)

I got two of the pumps last September as they were only a fiver and expected one to fail beacuse they were so cheap....they are brilliant !! And one is still in the packet in the attic.....may be a birthday present for someone this year :)

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Thanks for the head up.....work stand for me :)

I got two of the pumps last September as they were only a fiver and expected one to fail beacuse they were so cheap....they are brilliant !! And one is still in the packet in the attic.....may be a birthday present for someone this year :)
I got one of their pumps as well. You're right, it's great.

Reactions: stumpy150

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
The Helmet looks interesting with a decent light built in for winter use. I saw a helmet test on tv a while back where they tested a Boardman Pro Carbon (for which I paid about £80 for mine) against a budget one which I think was from Aldi, but not sure..
Anyway, the test showed both to be similar and well within the safety guidelines . No obvious advantage to buying the dearer one..
I am surprised at the quality of cycle gear both from Aldi and lidl....

I got my wife a winter jacket for £20 and it's better than my £80 Endura!

C

Cyclezee

Thanks for the heads up.

I know saddles and the comfort thereof are totally subjective. However, FWIW after going through a vast quantity of (often expensive) saddles I've settled on these Wittkop Medicus ones from Lidl as the best ever for me.

Got them on both my bikes now and will try to get one for the third bike on Monday.

I find the middle width one by far the best for me. They call it the trekking version. I tried the wide city one but although it looked comfy it didn't suit my sit bones. You can usually find these saddles on ebay anytime, but at more than double the price. I guess that says something.

To me the fancy saddles these half decent MTB's come specced with may look the part, but feel like sitting on a sliver of granite to me .. and that's after I've shed over two stones since January!!!
Hi Tony,

As you quite rightly say saddle choice is a subjective matter, but I might just try one myself, it would be interesting to know the ones that you didn't care for?

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Tony,

As you quite rightly say saddle choice is a subjective matter, but I might just try one myself, it would be interesting to know the ones that you didn't care for?
Hated the Selle Italia ones that the Cube and the KTM came specced with. Couldn't get on with the Specialized ones either.

I'm going to get another Witkopp trekking one on Monday .. that's the middle width one .. 17cms across if I remember rightly. For that money I will probably buy a MTB version as well to try out, which I think is about 14cms max width.

As I said before I found the Wittkop city one far too wide for a long ride.

For me, I don't think I need width, but I do appreciate firm squidgyness, if you know what I mean. :)

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I bought both the trekking and the MTB saddle from Lidl today (£7.99 each), didn't bother with the city saddle because it looked too big for me.
Got home at fitted the MTB saddle first as it had the best look to it, then went for a short ride.... didn't like it at all, its really small and narrow and painfully uncomfortable. Its actually less comfortable than the narrow saddle on my race bike.
So then i fitted the trekking saddle and went for a ride..... its great, really comfortable and far better than the OE saddle that came with my Carrera hybrid.
So the MTB saddle has been returned and i'll be keeping the trekking one.... i definitely recommend it.
Also bought the track pump (£5.99) which seems ok and has a steel tube, unlike the crappy plastic tubed ones.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I got a work stand, a pair of summer gloves , 3/4 shorts , jacket and a helmet - very impressed and cheap as chips !!

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I've got the trekking saddle and find it very comfy but my problem is I can't get it back far enough on the 2 metal rails underneath, probably caused by my Cannondale seatpost.
Can anyone recommend a replacement seatpost to suit this saddle?

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
I bought both the trekking and the MTB saddle from Lidl today (£7.99 each), didn't bother with the city saddle because it looked too big for me.
Got home at fitted the MTB saddle first as it had the best look to it, then went for a short ride.... didn't like it at all, its really small and narrow and painfully uncomfortable. Its actually less comfortable than the narrow saddle on my race bike.
So then i fitted the trekking saddle and went for a ride..... its great, really comfortable and far better than the OE saddle that came with my Carrera hybrid.
So the MTB saddle has been returned and i'll be keeping the trekking one.... i definitely recommend it.
Also bought the track pump (£5.99) which seems ok and has a steel tube, unlike the crappy plastic tubed ones.
Interesting that. I was in first thing this morning and bought two more trekking ones, which I just love, and then a mountain bike one to try out.

Hated the MTB one. It's gone straight back, but really chuffed I've enough spare trekking ones to see may days out :)

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
Got the Trekking saddle, a pump, a toolkit and a pair of work gloves which will keep the chill off as I have summer gloves! only downer is that the toolkit won't fit the existing saddle's nut - it has 13 & 15mm but no 14. Bugger.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Interesting that. I was in first thing this morning and bought two more trekking ones, which I just love, and then a mountain bike one to try out.

Hated the MTB one. It's gone straight back, but really chuffed I've enough spare trekking ones to see may days out :)
Yeah, maybe i should have bought another one as a spare, seeing as they're that good..... although i would expect them to last for years.
Also Lidl have 3 yr guarantees.

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
Agreed on the Trekking saddle - very comfortable. Well worth it. Might have to treat myself to a stand...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
every body needs a bike stand as its a pita to work on it otherwise, mine just a cheap 30 quid 1 same as at lidl :)

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I got the city saddle looking in Halfords the other day saddles were £45.

might get the trekking one if they have any left

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Also picked up a trekking one today may go back tomorrow as the 14.99 jacket looked quite good and may well get a stand.