Lifetime of a handlebar mounted head unit?

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
If you were to mount a display to the handlebars of your bike and then use it for a daily commute, how long would you expect it to last?

D

Deleted member 4366

Forever, except that if it has membrane buttons. They crack after some dime depending on how many times you press them and how much sunlight falls on them.

When it rains, all you need is a freezer bag and an elastic band to stop any water getting in.

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
So it's not unreasonable for it to last at least as long as my tyres then, and for sure if it's kept sheltered at all times then riding your bike in the rain should not present any problems?

D

Deleted member 4366

My tyres have lasted 3 years and 4500 miles so far, and they don't show any signs of significant wear. The original LCD lost one of its functions at 4000 miles, but that might have been a controller fault.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One of our members has just experienced a first problem with his circa 9 year old head unit, but it's thought it's likely to be only damp from some heavy rain, which should cure on drying out.

The head unit can often be the longest lasting part of the whole bike and e-system.

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
I don't mind a thing failing but this one failed with only 2 years of use, I think that's a shorter time than I would expect and CAB agree with me, given that a replacement would cost £80. However, the folk who sold me the kit have finally agreed that it's a bit of a shorter lifespan than should be expected, so all's well that ends well!

Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
If you were to mount a display to the handlebars of your bike and then use it for a daily commute, how long would you expect it to last?
I would give it 10 minutes if you parked the bike in certain locations. Seriously if you need it for controlling the motor unit as is the case on Bosch get one that's removable and get into the habit of removi ng it each journey. Takes less time than locking the bike. Then its out of the weather 95% of the time.