Lightweight Dahon conversion

ColinCheese

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 7, 2018
Derbyshire
Hi,

This is my second post here so be gentle with me!

Having only very recently dipped my toe into ebikes with Woosh Big Bear which is becoming my preferred mode of short trip transport to the shop, pub etc. Am hoping to use it for my 10 mile commute to work In clement weather once I have worked out how to attach my big/heavy laptop.

The train is also an option for covering most of the distance to work in about 5mins if I time it right. With that in mind I am wondering about converting a Dahon Boardwalk folder that I acquired recently to electric power. The total 2-way distance would only be about 6 miles on the bike and probably when I get my bike legs back that really wouldn't need powering, but I would like to do it anyway as my wife would use it too as it fits her well (she is very light too).

My question is what equipment should I be looking to buy? I would prefer a small/light battery with the option of carrying a spare or using an alternate for longer trips. The front forks are narrow so a rear hub motor looks the best option to me. Am happy to build my own battery, I have engineering facilities at home so can make the small bits where needed.

Regards,

Colin

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Front fork D/O width and rear D/O width ?

Last edited:

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Some are 120 mm. Bafang have a special 120 mm rear hub motor with 3 gears for folders since last year you might have some trouble finding one though.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
The Boardwalk is listed as a steel frame, so if it is 130mm dropout, a little spreading might be possible.

I put the Q100H rear hub motor on our folders. I run them on a 36V 4AH 10S-2P and a 36V9AH 10S-3P battery, either will fit in a bag under the seat. The 4AH battery will cover 15-18 miles at folding bike speeds (12-14 mph)

I wonder if a TSDZ2 mid drive would make for a cleaner package. No controller to mount. Less wires to dress. A little more cost. It might run well on a small battery. I have the motor.but no bike to put it on yet.