lithium ion battery charging

Gerrybb

Just Joined
Jan 24, 2008
Newforest
Hi Im a new member and just bought my first electric bike Synergie mistral on opening box i was a bit perplexed to find that no instrutions had been added can anyone tell me if there is a manual of some sort and where i can get one allso i am a bit worried about the charging the battery being a lithium Ion ive been told you should charge these every time you have been out but do i have to charge this as soon as i get back or can it wait a few hours as i am on economy seven and charge most of my things through the night on a time switch

C

Cyclezee

Hi Gerrybb,
firstly, a warm welcome to the forum.
I am not familliar with your particular bike, but the usual advice with Lithium batteries is to fully charge it as soon as you get it, then as near as possible fully discharge it the first 2 or 3 times you use the bike, this is called conditioning. After that, fully charge it after every use.
No doubt others will pass on their advice, but that is what I have done.

John

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Hi Im a new member and just bought my first electric bike Synergie mistral on opening box i was a bit perplexed to find that no instrutions had been added can anyone tell me if there is a manual of some sort and where i can get one allso i am a bit worried about the charging the battery being a lithium Ion ive been told you should charge these every time you have been out but do i have to charge this as soon as i get back or can it wait a few hours as i am on economy seven and charge most of my things through the night on a time switch
In answer to your second question. Yes charge as many times as possible after use but no you don't have to charge it up the moment you get in - it could wait hours or days, it wouldn't matter. In fact if you were going to leave it unused for a while it should be left at around the 40% capacity mark. The only problem of course is that if you need it in a hurry it is not fully charged and you will do more damage with a deeper the discharge. For this reason alone I always leave my battery fully charged - I can then get on it at any time. But then again I don't have economy 7.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
[whoops... no way to cancel the reply made here so editing to blushes.]

Last edited:

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Hi Gerrybb,
firstly, a warm welcome to the forum.
I am not familliar with your particular bike, but the usual advice with Lithium batteries is to fully charge it as soon as you get it, then as near as possible fully discharge it the first 2 or 3 times you use the bike, this is called conditioning. After that, fully charge it after every use.
No doubt others will pass on their advice, but that is what I have done.

John

This is the first time i've heard of 'Conditioning' the battery. Is there another source for this, as so far i've simply topped up the charge, every other use.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ajax, many battery types benefit from initial conditioning with two to four full charges and full or almost full discharges. What this does is settle the internal chemistry of the cells into a stable structure accepting the maximum charge possible.

Since your bike is very new, you can commence that at any time to complete the process, you've done no harm by not doing it yet. In fact the difference if you have the LPX battery is quite small, so you might not notice much improvement, as it's only the range that benefits slightly.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi Gerry,

I wouldn't worry too much about getting the Economy 7 rate. The total energy taken for a charge will be a fraction of a unit. (A full charge is maybe 0.3 kWhrs so allowing for charger efficiency still way less than a unit).

Depending on your tarrif it will be of the order of 4p on daytime and 2p on nighttime for a partial charge. Against that you should put the dangers, discussed elsewhere on the forum, of charging while you are asleep.

Nick

Advertisers