Little late but better than never ..... Another newbie (danish)

Thomas Bremnes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 21, 2017
Svedala
Hi,

Quick intro, 38 yr old computer engineer/architect.
Newer was much for e-bikes but about a 2 years ago stumbled on an small folding bike that my friends brought with them from the U.S. (Green world bike) non working at all but in brand new shape.

Got me curious atleast electrical wise. First lessons learnt BMS and how the batteries are made upp in cells and so on. But most cells were "dead" think the battery had been sitting without being charged for atleast a year, and i didnt feel comfy doing more than just measuring it my self.

Ended up sending the battery to get a new bms and cells and a small upgrade in capacity so now it was 36V 16A instead of the 36V 10A org.

After i redid all the wires and with some help here i got it working and it has since then been my commuter bike to work. As i got more and more "fit" gears and the small 16" wheels just wasn't made for my daily 30 km as one can only pedal that fast.... and using the gas handle to get faster wasnt an option. So bought a new bike, as i live outside the city right next to miles of forest and beutiful roads both on and off. I went for a Cube bike 29" wheels hardtail with Bosch Performance mid engine and more .... was a bit expensive but i could get my money back that i gave in just 6 mths compared to gas, parking and so on.

And by taking the bike i saved 30 mins too compared to being stuck in trafic.

Since i learned alot most the hard way but alot from here as well reading all the wise stuff u guys know.

I've had my bike's stolen, crashed several times offroad, tried a lot of different clothes to be able to bike all year round. And anti-theft protection last time they didn't get anything and didn't expect what i had prepared for them.

BEST Safety tip :Turn signals put this kind turn.JPG on both bikes

BEST Upgrade :
Just had my Cube upgraded (org. rear derailer broken) switched to Shimano's Deore XT 10 speed, (11-36T casette, derailer, shifter and chain).
Best ever now im able to do 30-35 with no assist at all :) with the org. was impossible to go even 30.
So better range more comfy pedaling speed, and still awesome tourqe when i need it going offroad.

NEW Project......
E-bike for my son, its all uphill to school and a bit too far for him. And today his bike is just laying there never being used.
So have the MXU8 engine, 36V 16A almost new battery, will buy a controller with bluetooth limit the pedal assist to 15km/h (will see and try that out but he is not getting the max 25km/h)
And for bike computer (not connected to the controller) he will build his own with an arduino micro, or pi zero.
Not much info around on kids e-bikes, law here is only requiring a helmet and the usual limits for kids up to 15 yrs. If anyone has any links or experience plz send.

Reactions: Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Thomas :)

Gaz