Locks

Neilgriff

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2017
Kent
Hello,

Given the investment in ebikes and the potential for theft, I am looking at suitable security for my bike.

I didn’t see anything specific in the forum, but I would be surprised if it hasn’t been discussed. Is it worthy of its own sticky or section somewhere?

I did find this interesting you tube article. It is in German, but easy to follow and does give an easy to follow evaluation and recommendation.

D

Deleted member 4366

In the video, the guy has superior tools to what the average opportunist bike thief has. They're more representative of what somebody would use for a planned theft, i.e. they know where your bike is and what lock you have.

You have to consider all aspects of the risk of leaving your bike unattended: Who's about that's likely to steal it; what tools they're likely to have; what you can lock your bike to and how; how long your bike will be unattended; etc. Then, you need to balance that against the convenience of carrying the lock, in particular the weight, and the cost of the lock.

Don't forget that it's not just the bike that gets nicked. Wheels and saddles are common. I know of one guy that came back to find that his nice hydraulic brakes were gone.

D

Deleted member 4366

The problem with shackle locks is that you can't always find something convenient to lock the bike to. You need something wider to go around a tree, lamppost or pillar.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
You have to consider all aspects of the risk of leaving your bike unattended: Who's about that's likely to steal it; what tools they're likely to have; what you can lock your bike to and how; how long your bike will be unattended; etc.
This picture is of a neighbours nicked brand new £900 Cube non-electric bike. He's done everything right: TWO highly rated locks of different types - one D-lock and one chain, all properly secured to a proper bicycle stand. This picture shows the bike AFTER it was found, the following morning, AFTER the theft - complete with cycle stand, and paving slabs to which the bike stand HAD been secured having been carried some 100 yards away from where the bicycle stand used to be. Had the thieves had a van - a road runs just 10 yards from the stands original location - the bike complete with locks and stand would now be gone, and the locks cut at leisure.

Don't kid yourself that securing your bike with a lock to an anchor point anywhere - even in your own garage - will necessarily prevent it's disappearance. If you willingly flaunt anything expensive/ easily re-sellable, thieves will watch your movements over time and seize the opportunity once they know you're out/ not likely to return anytime soon.

StolenCube.jpg

Attachments

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Don't kid yourself that securing your bike with a lock to an anchor point anywhere - even in your own garage
I'm not kidding anyone let alone myself, I'm an engineer and know full well how easy it is to render useless most locks :(
My bikes are never outside on view for more than the time it takes me to open/close the garage door. I have enough security to stop a casual tealeaf
and a determined thief can take anything however it's locked.

Neilgriff

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2017
Kent
Wheel locks such as the Axa defender are also good if you want to secure the wheel and are after a lightweight lock. I wouldn’t recommend this as a sturdy lock for long duration parking, but handy if popping into a shop etc, especially with the long chain attachment. I use£ these on my bikes in Holland as standard.

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer

signwave

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2016
Hampshire
That’s a decent lock.
It is indeed. I bought one yesterday from my local Halfords.

Take care though if buying in store.
They were on the rack marked at £40, but the till person had no problem at all matching their online price of £31.99.
Of course one would expect that price match, but you may need to mention it.

• Informative
Reactions: Wheel-E

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
One can imagine today's crooks walking around with a smartphone and upon finding a nice bike looking up the retail price in real time! :eek: Such is the way of technological assistance - worth nicking or not worth nicking...

- I am a big fan of two locks just for their discouragement value.
- If you buy locks with insurance company rating levels you will have less problems putting in a claim if something does happen.
- The common saying is spend 10% of the value of your bike securing it.

I would love to put a frame lock on the trike but they just don't fit :( So for the moment it is Kryptonite D-Lock through the frame and rear wheel with cable attaching one front wheel (you need a spanner and an allen key to remove the other wheel) and the seat via street furniture.

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
It's a tough one.

I have taken my car to places where I could have and probably would have preferred to ride my bike but felt that the length of time I would have to leave it and the place I would have to leave it would be too much of a risk :(

My car is probably just as easy to steal as my bike when locked to something but it just feels less risky to leave it parked on a dark street corner somewhere and I think I'm less likely to have a hard time with insurers if it is stolen.

Bike manufacturers go to great lengths to make things lightweight and then we ride around with half of the Queen Mary's anchor chain and a massive steel shackle. :confused: