London Cyclist Death

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This week we were reaching 11 months since the last cyclist death in London, something of a miracle after years of averaging about 14 deaths each year. Following a big campaign for improved safety, the main credit for this was jointly due to cyclists taking greater care in the vicinity of trucks and the compulsory safety improvements to trucks operating in London.

London had remarkably become by far the safest place to cycle in the UK, but sadly that achievement was marred by a cyclist death today in South East London.

Once again it was reported as a woman cyclist in conflict with a truck.

Many of you will have seen my previous regular posts drawing attention to this phenomena of the disproportionate number of female deaths in collisions with trucks and the campaign to try to prevent them, so it's sad that this occurs once again after such a long period of success.

I have no further details at present since this was brief breaking news on the ITV London news. There was nothing online at the time of posting.

cyberdyne_systems

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
Surrey
That was a good run, but I guess inevitable that it would come to an end at some point.

It does show progress, but that's no consolation to this womans family, how sad. :(

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
This week we were reaching 11 months since the last cyclist death in London, something of a miracle after years of averaging about 14 deaths each year. Following a big campaign for improved safety, the main credit for this was jointly due to cyclists taking greater care in the vicinity of trucks and the compulsory safety improvements to trucks operating in London.

London had remarkably become by far the safest place to cycle in the UK, but sadly that achievement was marred by a cyclist death today in South East London.

Many of you will have seen my previous regular posts drawing attention to this phenomena of the disproportionate number of female deaths in collisions with trucks and the campaign to try to prevent them, so it's sad that this occurs once again after such a long period of success.

I have no further details at present since this was brief breaking news on the ITV London news. There was nothing online at the time of posting.
I have no idea what you can base the fact that london is the safest place to cycle in the UK. Safer than rural Lincolnshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, Orkney Islands, Shetland Islands and on and on. You are having a laugh saying London was the safest place to cycle. The mixture of idiot cycle couriers and LGVs who get paid more on bonus. Plus van delivery makes London and other big cities in the UK very very dangerous places to ride bikes. So where did you get these spurious statistics from?

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I have no idea what you can base the fact that london is the safest place to cycle in the UK. Safer than rural Lincolnshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, Orkney Islands, Shetland Islands and on and on. You are having a laugh saying London was the safest place to cycle. The mixture of idiot cycle couriers and LGVs who get paid more on bonus. Plus van delivery makes London and other big cities in the UK very very dangerous places to ride bikes. So where did you get these spurious statistics from?
Oh my, I do not think for one minute flecc was having a laugh of any kind. I do agree with his "opinion" that no deaths in 11 months did indeed warrant his statement. When you consider congestion and the sheer number of bikes, buses, trucks and cars compared with your examples, it is indeed a small miracle that no one was killed. Indeed, the places you mentioned are very safe. However, just one fatality, in a year, in any of those areas would make them far more dangerous statistically than London when you consider the differences in volume of traffic and sheer number of road users. Carry on flecc and thanks for keeping us aware of the need for greater safety.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The rural areas can be less safe due to sporadic but fast moving traffic.

From a safety point of view, I'd rather cycle down Regent Street than on a twisty B-road in the Yorkshire dales where there are too many motorised test pilots.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk

Croydon by the sounds of things.

That's a shame to hear although the slowing of the regularity of these deaths is obviously a real positive.

I drove back through London yesterday, heading for the M4. It constantly surprises me to see the sheer amount of cyclists around. The increase in cycling over the past few years in London is astounding.

As I drove along the north side of the river towards Earls Crt, there was what I can only describe as a hoard of cyclists racing along on their way home from work. The good thing is that in numbers, they appear to adhere to the rules more and seem to stop at red lights (on the whole) and wait with the other traffic. You almost get the sense that the majority would boo if someone ignored the red lights. This is a good thing and maybe one of the contributing factors to the decline in the death rate.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not spurious statistics, just facts.

There is an average of 112 cyclist deaths per year nationally over a population of 64.5 millions. London's population of 8.5 millions is 13.2% of that, but the London's annual average of 14 cycling deaths until recently is 12.5%, so previously only marginally better, However, considering that the rate of London cycling has been so much higher than the rest of the country over the last decade, still London has been safer.

But the changes I mentioned have drastically improved the situation. In the last calendar year of 2015 there were 8 London cyclist deaths, a near 60% reduction. And in the one day short of 11 months to yesterday there were no cyclist deaths in London. Normally in an average previous 11 months over that last decade we'd have suffered 13 deaths, so the change is dramatic.

If the rest of the country had performed like London in 2015, instead of 113 cyclist deaths there would only have been 65 deaths. If the rest of the country performed like London over the last 11 months, including this latest London death, the country would have dropped to only 8 deaths for this year instead of the usual over 100.

Clearly London is now by a huge margin the safest area in the UK to cycle.

So what do I mean by area? Clearly one must compare like with like, so an area of circa 8.5 million people, not an area of Cheshire countryside with few thousand people. In this connection you may learn from this extract of the Department for Transport report TRL445 on cycling accident causes, giving the lie to the country areas being safer:

The study found that rural roads present particular challenges for cyclists, as the risk of being killed is much higher than for other roads. Almost half of cyclist fatalities occurred on rural roads, and the proportion of collisions on these roads increases for those aged 40+. Casualty severity was found to increase with the posted speed limit, and so measures to reduce traffic speeds in rural areas may benefit cyclists.
Collisions at night/in the dark were more likely to result in a fatality, and rural roads present particular difficulties, as not only are the speed limits generally higher but the roads are often unlit. A detailed examination of these accidents found that the bicycle was commonly impacted in the rear by the vehicle.

Why do i use deaths as my statistic? That's because it's more reliable, there's no argument about whether someone is dead. Accident statistics in comparison contain many anomalies due to judgements and grading methods, and in any case, both KSI and serious injury statistics roughly track the death rates.

I trust that you can see now that I take great care in ascertaining the facts before posting. As long term members are aware, I've been closely tracking this subject for years and taking an active part in the campaign to reduce London cycling accidents and deaths.

P.S. An additional fact. London has over 580,000 cycle commutes each weekday, not counting all the other forms of London cycling, club rides, MTB/leisure, utility cycling, BMX etc. That's over 133 million cycle commuting journeys in the country's heaviest traffic during the almost 11 months without a single death. That should be celebrated.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Some more details on the sad death yesterday. The victim was a 25 year old woman cyclist who was struck by a truck on a railway bridge in St James Road, Selhurst, South London.

The truck driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and failing to stop at the scene and was detained in custody.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Did my first London commute today Lambeth Westminster.
The cycle lanes where they were were excellent.
I was stately and avoided any issues. Much greater danger on M4 near Swindon when a car moved from slip road ro middle lane without looking.

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
I commute in London occasionally - why I bought my Secret in the first place. People often say to me 'How do you manage that? Must be terrifying!' and I see their dumbfounded reaction when I say that pollution aside, I consider London to be a safe place to cycle. The sheer volume of cyclists means that most regular London drivers are more cycle aware and seem to react accordingly. Obviously there are pinch points, and cycling down Oxford street is a lottery from the kamikaze pedestrian point of view, but by and large I feel a lot happier on two wheels in the capital that using the underground. My cycling style is quite commanding though - I will move out early, sit middle lane if needs be and adopt the same stance I do when riding my motorbike in terms of my mental size and importance, and I think that's vital in terms of confidence and ensuring other traffic doesn't take advantage of you. I feel much more exposed cycling around the lanes on the Somerset Levels as I know how people drive around here...