Looking for a first eMTB

Supermoto

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 19, 2017
UK
Hello Guys,

I posted an introduction but it was suggested I should ask here too. A bit of a long story but I need some advice.

I'm working out in China for the foreseeable future. I won't be able to get a local license so motorbikes and cars are not an option. This leaves me hobby-less, stuck using taxis and with not a lot to do. I can ride an ebike (which are a big thing over here) without a license though. There are hundreds of scooter-type ebikes to chose from over here and all very cheap so that is an option.

However, I'm wondering if an eMTB would be a better option. It's something I could use back in the UK, commute with in China and also have some fun on. I'm approaching 40 so trying to keep an eye on my health so it may help with that too.

My dilemma is, I don't want to spend thousands on something that isn't going to be any use for anything other than commuting (an eScooter will do that for 300 quid). On the other hand, if I get into riding off road, I want a bike that can handle some proper use.

Based on all that, I've been looking at something like a Haibike xDuro Hardseven with the Bosch motor. However, I'm not sure if that's overkill, if I should spend more on something higher in the range to get some better components or if another make/model would suit better.

I'm not even sure if an eMTB is necessary (e-scooter and regular MTB not ideal due to limited storage in my hotel room but probably doable for less money). I like the idea of a bit of extra 'zip' from a derestricted motor.

I appreciate it's a very broad, rambling question(?) but I'm just looking for opinions really. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks in advance,
SM

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Someone will nick it while you're out. Anyway, you seem to think an eMTB is more compact or more storable than any other type of bike, why?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
I stayed in a hotel for eight weeks solid in Hounslow / Heathrow and they let me lock my KTM up in the luggage room. I loved being able to cycle to work every day.

Supermoto

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 19, 2017
UK
Someone will nick it while you're out. Anyway, you seem to think an eMTB is more compact or more storable than any other type of bike, why?
Because it's a fifth the weight and a quarter the width of an e-scooter (think of a vespa).

Bikes do get stolen in China but that's because people don't lock them up (or use the worlds flimsiest lock. Usually p*ssed up expats with a false sense of security forgetting lock it up.

It won't get stolen from my hotel room (CCTV coverage everywhere and only staff have access to the room) so that's not too much of a worry.

The Wanderer

Just Joined
Sep 25, 2017
Wigan
Hello Guys,

I posted an introduction but it was suggested I should ask here too. A bit of a long story but I need some advice.

I'm working out in China for the foreseeable future. I won't be able to get a local license so motorbikes and cars are not an option. This leaves me hobby-less, stuck using taxis and with not a lot to do. I can ride an ebike (which are a big thing over here) without a license though. There are hundreds of scooter-type ebikes to chose from over here and all very cheap so that is an option.

However, I'm wondering if an eMTB would be a better option. It's something I could use back in the UK, commute with in China and also have some fun on. I'm approaching 40 so trying to keep an eye on my health so it may help with that too.

My dilemma is, I don't want to spend thousands on something that isn't going to be any use for anything other than commuting (an eScooter will do that for 300 quid). On the other hand, if I get into riding off road, I want a bike that can handle some proper use.

Based on all that, I've been looking at something like a Haibike xDuro Hardseven with the Bosch motor. However, I'm not sure if that's overkill, if I should spend more on something higher in the range to get some better components or if another make/model would suit better.

I'm not even sure if an eMTB is necessary (e-scooter and regular MTB not ideal due to limited storage in my hotel room but probably doable for less money). I like the idea of a bit of extra 'zip' from a derestricted motor.

I appreciate it's a very broad, rambling question(?) but I'm just looking for opinions really. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks in advance,

SM
Hi Supermoto
I have a Cyclotricty stealth 1000w MTB its a fantastic machine and well worth the money
hope this helps

Ian

Related Articles

Advertisers