Looking for a new e-bike

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
You won't go wrong with either a Cube or Trek.

Evans now lists dozens of ebikes, none of which they hill have in stock or even easy access to.

Their own brand Lithium bike is worth a look, it has the Shimano Steps crank drive, which is very similar to the Bosch drive you will find on Cubes.

Not badly priced at £2K, but you may be able to get a Cube for a bit less.

More important will be the style of bike you prefer and the fit of it.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-ion-2017-electric-bike-EV267144
How does the Shimano Steps compare to the Bosch?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Have STEP and Bosch CX so not direct comparison, Active is Step equivalent. STEP is smooth in eco and normal where I spend most my time. High is slightly lumpy compared to Bosch, hardly noticeable and over shadowed by pleasure of climbing sweat free.

STEP assist button and larger display leave Bosch for dead. Walk mode on STEP is little hard to access but once in lot easier to maintain than Bosch. Both will easily climb stairs but harder to keep walk button pressed on Bosch.

Power delivery on both drives is excellent, not fussy about you cadence (pedal rate).

With 38T chainring and 9spd cassette STEP, will climb 99% hills (sealed roads) with ease.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crockers

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Have STEP and Bosch CX so not direct comparison, Active is Step equivalent. STEP is smooth in eco and normal where I spend most my time. High is slightly lumpy compared to Bosch, hardly noticeable and over shadowed by pleasure of climbing sweat free.

STEP assist button and larger display leave Bosch for dead. Walk mode on STEP is little hard to access but once in lot easier to maintain than Bosch. Both will easily climb stairs but harder to keep walk button pressed on Bosch.

Power delivery on both drives is excellent, not fussy about you cadence (pedal rate).

With 38T chainring and 9spd cassette STEP, will 99% hills (sealed roads) with ease.
I would agree that the Bosch walk mode is a bit of a pain, and am not sure how useful it is anyway. Having to keep a finger pressed on a switch is ok for 3 minutes but when pushing the bike for two miles with a puncture it loses its charm.
I like the intuvia display. It gives all the important information.
Power delivery on the Bosch active is very very smooth, even during gear changes. And with the range of gears it will go up any slope I am interested in.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

bradgirl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2008
Complete change of direction and I've now chosen a Carrera Crossfire! It's just like my current bike but with the motor so it feels very comfortable and my test ride put a smile on my face :) I know it's Halfords so life isn't perfect but fingers crossed I won't need much customer service... Picking it up on Saturday... Yippee!!

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
well done BG.
Clearly you don't need to spend a large amount of cash to put a smile on your face!