Looking for a reliable ebike to do the London knowledge on, please help!

Knowledge boy

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2017
Luton
Hi there and thanks for taking the time to read my message.

As the title suggests im looking for an ebike to do the London taxi knowledge on.

My budget is around £2000.
Im 42 years young (wheeze cough splutter..) and weigh approx 18stone.
I estimate riding 30-40 miles a day 3/4/5 days a week and not against buying a spare battery as im only going to have the chance to recharge them once a week.
Reliability is key, then comfort but guess its only a matter of changing saddles so not a huge issue.

I was looking at the Kahlkoff pro connect 9g but apparentley it has had motor issues in the past which led me to this site so if anyone has one or has any opinions id be glad to gear them.

Thanks again,
Kolboy

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011

As the title suggests im looking for an ebike to do the London taxi knowledge on.

I estimate riding 30-40 miles a day 3/4/5 days a week and not against buying a spare battery as im only going to have the chance to recharge them once a week.
Reliability is key, then comfort but guess its only a matter of changing saddles so not a huge issue.

I was looking at the Kahlkoff pro connect 9g but apparentley it has had motor issues in the past which led me to this site so if anyone has one or has any opinions id be glad to gear them.

Thanks again,
Kolboy
If you want reliability then the Bosch mid drive motor and battery system are right up there,have a look at the Cube range of e-bikes because they are good value for the money.

Reactions: Knowledge boy

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

Riding 80 miles between charges is doable on low power and slower speed.
But why an ebike. It's mostly flat in London and you will earn your legs doing 30 miles a day. A good hybrid should eat the miles with ease. An eBay bargain could save you a fortune.
A ebike on low power will do the same but have a far higher knickability value.
More than 100 miles then you need extra batteries or a charger. Having breakfast at the same place and getting the battery charged at the same time is another idea.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
30/40 miles is a charge each night mileage. You may well be doing a lot of start/stop riding.

Knowledge boy

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2017
Luton
Riding 80 miles between charges is doable on low power and slower speed.
But why an ebike. It's mostly flat in London and you will earn your legs doing 30 miles a day. A good hybrid should eat the miles with ease. An eBay bargain could save you a fortune.
A ebike on low power will do the same but have a far higher knickability value.
More than 100 miles then you need extra batteries or a charger. Having breakfast at the same place and getting the battery charged at the same time is another idea.
Thanks dave but im trying to make it as easy as possible and as less hassle as possible as im going to have enough to deal with living in a van 5 days a week..

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Im going to sleeping in a van mon-fri and coming home sat-sun to recharge, i could try coffee shops etc but rather just have a spare to save any hassle
Get a Bosch as mentioned above, I'd suggest something like a Raleigh Motus or a Scott E-Sub Tour.

& buy a charger that can plug into your van such as this.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Nice one wander, any idea how long itll take to charge? I guess id top it up every day..
Dunno but this article mentions an internal discharge protection system for the vehicles battery to prevent it from completely discharging so I suppose you could just leave it plugged in overnight which I would have thought would be more than enough.

Knowledge boy

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2017
Luton
Dunno but this article mentions an internal discharge protection system for the vehicles battery to prevent it from completely discharging so I suppose you could just leave it plugged in overnight which I would have thought would be more than enough.
Top man wander! Outta the two im swaying towards the raleigh as it says its got a range of upto 150km, which in reality is probably morelike 100km but still good for 2-3 days at least!

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Top man wander! Outta the two im swaying towards the raleigh as it says its got a range of upto 150km, which in reality is probably morelike 100km but still good for 2-3 days at least!
Don't believe the manufacturer's ranges quoted. They are in ideal conditions. Expect 30/40/50 miles per charge. Also if you buying a Bosch there will be no discernible difference between e.g. the Raleigh & the Scott if the both have the same motor & the same size battery,

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Make sure it has a 500wh battery and not the 400wh one that are on some Bosch equiped models.