Looking for a reliable mid range eBike

Laurie

Just Joined
Jul 6, 2017
Monmouthshire
Hi all. I am new to eBikes but have test driven several and examined a few others recently. I used to enjoy cycling quite a few years ago, but at 64 yrs old, now feel an eBike might be good for exploring the countryside.
I have been recommended to go for a Bosch crank drive, and quite like the Moustache Samedi 28 which comes complete with rear rack and mudguards. However another dealer is trying to discourage me saying that most bikes are made in China, and recommending a KTM Venturer, although this has Shimano Steps motor, which has fewer modes, and the bike is quite stripped down, with no mudguards, rack etc.
I am looking to spend between £1500 and £1900 but need something reliable and with quality components and frame. Any recommendations please?
Laurie

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dealer is talking out of there rear hole my bosch motor is 3 years old and have a dongle on it to remove the speed limit from day one ;)

bosch motors are made in Germany and the only motor id steer clear of is the impulse motor.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Nothing wrong with the Shimano STEPS in my experience.

Have you looked at the Wisper 905 Torque? Hard to beat if you're not planning on riding up mountains.

Gaz

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Your dealer is right ( is he in Cumbria by any chance?) in that the bikes are usually made in China, but as far as I know the Bosch power units are made in Germany.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi all. I am new to eBikes but have test driven several and examined a few others recently. I used to enjoy cycling quite a few years ago, but at 64 yrs old, now feel an eBike might be good for exploring the countryside.
I have been recommended to go for a Bosch crank drive, and quite like the Moustache Samedi 28 which comes complete with rear rack and mudguards. However another dealer is trying to discourage me saying that most bikes are made in China, and recommending a KTM Venturer, although this has Shimano Steps motor, which has fewer modes, and the bike is quite stripped down, with no mudguards, rack etc.
I am looking to spend between £1500 and £1900 but need something reliable and with quality components and frame. Any recommendations please?
Laurie
.. probably the first decision to be made is whether you want a bike for the roads tarmac, gravel or a bike for rough ground . If the former then I suggest looking at the Raleigh Captus or Motus , or some of the cubes. If the later look to someone else for advice. I am sure that some of the trade members can suggest alternatives.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The style of bike has nothing to do with the 'e' bit, it's what you prefer.

If, when you rode pushbikes, you liked mudguards and a rack, that's what you want on the ebike.

There's not much in the mainstream brands quality-wise, all are decent.

Some problems with the Impulse motor on Kalkhoffs, but the likes of Bosch and Shimano Steps are equally reliable.

Steps bikes tend to be a bit cheaper, although most only have a 400wh battery compared to 500wh for Bosch.

I'm guessing the KTM dealer is trying to tuck you into that Steps bike because he wants rid of it.

Fine, but make it cost him, so only buy it if you get a substantial discount.

Bear in mind you could always fit mudguards and a rack if you find you need them, although factory fit is best.

Moustache bikes are uniquely stylish, if you like one there's not much point in looking elsewhere.

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Hi you can get a new Hai bike for that yamaha mid drive .I can recomend them .I have discovered loads of new tracks etc.Have a test ride if you can and see what you think good luck.

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Any reason you want a crank drive?

I can recommend the Oxygen S Cross, it is a hub motor, good build quality, decent components, battery lasts a long time while out in the countryside and it looks very nice too.

You can get the MTB version of the Oxygen and it comes with a better suspension fork and better hydraulic disc brakes, add a rack if you need it.

The Moustache and Venturer Bikes look okay, you have a wide choice, check battery capacity, if its last years model haggle for a better price.

If the Samedi is a 500wh battery version and is discounted, go for it.

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Laurie
The Moustache Samedi 28 may a bit more exspensive but it does have few nice pluses.
1) 500Wh battery
2) Performance drive which 60nm compared to Steps and Active 50nm.
3) SLX gears, quality gears are a must on middrives.
4) lights, mudguards, rack. Small things but they make a big difference.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz