Looking for a Trek battery in tired condition

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
I am looking to re cell a Trek battery and I was wondering if anyone had an old one which has lost much of its capacity, and is no longer used. It would give me a chance to strip and re cell it.
I am an engineer by trade and understand well the precautions necessary, and it would breath new life into my Trek bike.
IMG_0222.JPG

D

Deleted member 4366

Just in case you don't know, the Bionx systems use CANbus communication between the controller and the battery, so you need to use the Bionx BMS if you want to do a re-cell. I don't know whether the battery is tied to the bike by software, so you might need to get it reprogrammed to work with your bike.

Why not just re-cell the one that you already have, which would be the easiest solution?-

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
I did not know they were tied to the bike, do you know if they can be unlocked?
I will re cell my own eventually but I wanted a practice run at this I understand the casing is a bit difficult to open. I looked all over to try and and find someone who would make up the cell packs but I found someone in Germany who will weld up the cell packs using Samsung or Sony cells which are 2600mah instead of the original ones which are 1600 mah
I saw this site below which is very useful
https://syonyk.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/trek-valencia-ride-bionx-battery-pack_23.html

D

Deleted member 4366

I can't say that the battery is definitely tied to the bike, but you definitely need a Bionx BMS.

Solarbake

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2014
I can't say that the battery is definitely tied to the bike, but you definitely need a Bionx BMS.
Try Jimmy at BGA reworking he can recell it for you with some big capacity cells ,
for a fraction of the price you can even buy the batteries for.

Last edited: