Looking for a very light weight Step through bike

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I totally love my Whoosh Crusa & it has been totally perfect for what I bought it for. & for a person with a disability that hasn't ridden a boke for 20 yrs - I have done over 350 miles in 2 months!!

However my teenager has her greedy little eye on it & with the prospect of communting to work on a bike I wondered if there was something as comfy as the Crusa but that weight a lot less!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Very light or step through, choose one or the other... Step through bikes require stronger frames which means more weight. Much lighter bikes also tend to be more expensive than the Woosh.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Yes - life means we are giving up our second car in September so I'll have a bit of budget (car tax & petrol costs) plus if I get a new job I might be able to do the cycle to work thing (if you are allowed to top it up)

Has to be step through - I really can't get my leg over!! Sorry!

But 24kg plus laptop & lunch is going to be impossible, I'll drop it

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
It's not very pretty & I don't know where my bags would go

It's about a 1000 more than I anticipated tho - thanks I'll keep the link where would be nearest to try it out? Germany?

I think it might be too much 'bike' for me - it looks like the sort of thing my brother builds, rather than something a middle aged disabled lady would cycle to church/work etc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
most of the cost of that bike is in the motor system in the down tube and its light waight but its about as light as it will get tho you would need 2 batts as well.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I'm not very technical so I'll smile & nod at that......

It IS 9.5kgs lighter than mine which is nearly a stone & a half!!

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
The red one is prettier - but the idea of misson control scares me!!

I can't see the weight on that am I not looking in the right place?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Katymac

I'm sure you're getting the picture that you have to pay a huge amount of cash just to save a few pounds of weight.

I wonder whether you might look at it from a different angle.
One of my bikes has the motor in the back wheel and the battery above it like your Woosh Crusa. I find that layout does make the bike much more back heavy ( and more prone to tip over if you're not careful ) than my other .. more expensive it must be said.. crank drive bikes with the engine and battery in the frame.

What I guess I'm saying is that maybe the issue for you is connected with the BALANCE of the bike rather than the WEIGHT.

I see you live in Norfolk and am guessing you got the Woosh from the Fakenham bike shop.

The link below relates to a bike shop in Cromer who sell step through crank drives which according to thier web site you can trial free of charge.

I'd give that a try and see how you get on. :)
Good luck..Tony

http://www.electrifyingcycles.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=1271&virtuemart_category_id=14&Itemid=644

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
That UMA looks interesting Topographer - I'm not sure if I could put pannier on it - but it is more 'bike' shaped & recognisable

I look fairly ridiculous on the crusa and some of those others I would have looked completely ridiculous on, I'm shortish & dumpy & quite old!

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Thanks I'll have a look in Cromer, I actually went to Southend as my daughterr lives near there

It might be balance - it isn't good at the best of times and if I go over a curb with a load of shopping I tip over