Looking for a very light weight Step through bike

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The Gepida ticks lite weight requirements, but small wheels and no suspension mean firmer ride. No rack, mudguards, lights.

Unfortunately all these little extras that make riding a ebike a pleasure come with weight penalty.

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

philliptjohnson

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2017
Washington
I wouldn't worry to much about where to put a bag/panniers if you find the right bike without a rack... I use one of these and it's just fits on the seat post with a quick release clamp, no need to even get a screw driver out to fit...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=236256&productId=985549&storeId=10001

I also get the clip on side frame...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=236256&productId=985825&storeId=10001

And the bag with the zip up pannier sides that slides into the rack and clips in, dead easy to put on and take off the rack...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165643&productId=985699&storeId=10001

That set up will fit pretty much any bike and can be fitted by anybody.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Katymac,

how tall is your daughter if you don't mind me asking?

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
5ft 5 same as me & unbelievably stronger!!
She is nearly 20
Look at the calf muscles!! She is training to be a professional dancer

(Fingers crossed that works)

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
She now sees an electric bike as a good way to get to & theatres esp late at night after a 12hrs day of rehearsal & 2 shows!!

Specifically MY electric bike!!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
The wheels look very small - like the big wheels on the Crusa - it is very comfy

The only time it struggled was a foot bridge in Cambridge (the first couple of weeks I had it but I did it this week no problem) and a couple of hills in Tudweiliog!!

Maybe I should carry on I am getting stronger (and my daughter can buy her own!!)

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Thanks everyone I am wondering if I should wait it out for a bit & see how I do

With Crmer as a back up if I decided it is too heavy for me

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
If you live in a flatish area the GTech bike (16kg without accessories) will do. They do a 14 day free trial. But yes, you may get more comfortable with the Crusa over time.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I'm moving to ipswich if all goes to plan and actually that would make my commute tiny (compared to norwich)

So I think we will see how we go while steering my daughter towards a second hand bike!! That we will of course pay for!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I totally love my Whoosh Crusa & it has been totally perfect for what I bought it for. & for a person with a disability that hasn't ridden a boke for 20 yrs - I have done over 350 miles in 2 months!!

However my teenager has her greedy little eye on it & with the prospect of communting to work on a bike I wondered if there was something as comfy as the Crusa but that weight a lot less!
.. in the first sentence did you mean bike or bloke? .... In either case sympathy, missing out on an enjoyable experience

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I totally love my Whoosh Crusa & it has been totally perfect for what I bought it for. & for a person with a disability that hasn't ridden a boke for 20 yrs - I have done over 350 miles in 2 months!!

However my teenager has her greedy little eye on it & with the prospect of communting to work on a bike I wondered if there was something as comfy as the Crusa but that weight a lot less!
An ordinary bike weighs about 14 kg, a battery weighs about 3.5kg, a motor another 4 kg , a controller and wiring another 1kg, so an overall weight penalty of 9kg for electrifying a bike. Typical well speced road worthy ebikes are up to 23kgs. It costs a lot of money to reduce weight, exotic materials, carbon fibre. It would be much more cost effective to cut out a latte every day and reduce the humans body weight by a kilo than to spend 1000£ on reducing the bike by a kilo, and one would feel better anyway.
Anyway the only time the cyclist on an electric bike need worry about the weight is when they are struggling to carry it up steps or through doors. Normally the power of the bike more than compensates for any additional weight....the cyclist will normally weight 3 to 4 times the bike
.. I was going to say don't sweat it... .