Looking for a very light weight Step through bike

D

Deleted member 4366

An ordinary bike weighs about 14 kg, a battery weighs about 3.5kg, a motor another 4 kg , a controller and wiring another 1kg, so an overall weight penalty of 9kg for electrifying a bike. Typical well speced road worthy ebikes are up to 23kgs. It costs a lot of money to reduce weight, exotic materials, carbon fibre. It would be much more cost effective to cut out a latte every day and reduce the humans body weight by a kilo than to spend 1000£ on reducing the bike by a kilo, and one would feel better anyway.
Anyway the only time the cyclist on an electric bike need worry about the weight is when they are struggling to carry it up steps or through doors. Normally the power of the bike more than compensates for any additional weight....the cyclist will normally weight 3 to 4 times the bike
.. I was going to say don't sweat it... .
I don't think you need to spend a lot of money to get lightweight stuff. On my latest build, they motor and controller cost £125 . The battery with BMS was about £100. Throttle and PAS les than £10. They're retail mprices. A factory or OEM bike make would pay half of that. Total weight for the kit is less than 3kg. I can't see why you cant' have a 10kg folding bike with small wheels when you can get a cheap roadbike with big wheels at 10kg.

The Dahon Vybe C7A is only £399 retail price and weighs 11.5 kg. You could easily save a kg by changing the tyres, seat and pedals to light-weight ones, so you could have a 13.5 kg bike for less than £700.

I can't understand why nobody offers something like that with a 1kg clip-in 200wh battery. if you want to go a long way, you could carry a spare battery in your pocket.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
they motor and controller cost £125 . The battery with BMS was about £100. Throttle and PAS les than £10.
those are import prices.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can't understand why nobody offers something like that with a 1kg clip-in 200wh battery.
public liability.
It does not matter what the small prints say, if you know your product/attachment is likely to break or fall off the bike, you don't have a leg to stand on.
The problem is that few people need to have a smallish battery, they all want the largest capacity they can afford or want to carry.
Small demands lead to scarcity of designs.
I can get small packs like you said, 36V 6AH in 10S2P but I can't store them unless they are encased in a UN certified case, until manufacturers make those cases, I can't keep them and can't ship them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I can get small packs like you said, 36V 6AH in 10S2P but I can't store them unless they are encased in a UN certified case, until manufacturers make those cases, I can't keep them and can't ship them.
Coyote bikes in Halfords and the Gtech have 36v 6Ah batteries!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
they have a proper case. I wish someone to make a very shallow version of the HL battery for example. You can find HL batteries with 65 cells but not one for 20 or 30 cells.
I also wish to find a 20/30 cell battery case mounted to the handlebars or the suspension fork.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can get them I have one. They're on every battery case stand at the Shanghai show. I think I goit mine from Shanshan. I bought it directly from them at the end of the show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
do you have a picture? I am stuck in Southend for a while.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
HL is 52 cells IIRC. You can put 2P10S in there and it will weigh a lot less than 4P10S the bulk isn't a real problem. I already linked to this 2.6 kg with bag:

http://www.ciclotekstore.eu/b2c/producto/9821051/2/vintage-brown-36v-8-8-ah-battery-set

The problem isn't the Ah it is the power of the cells in the pack. If you make a 6 Ah battery with Samsung 26F cells in it won't climb the slightest hill without sagging. Hence my projected 9 Ah battery with 30 Amp cells I'll weigh it when done. A 6 Ah battery is good enough to get SWMBO to the factory and back.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks AKW.
I am after a case that locks to the handlebar or the suspension fork or the headtube with a good lock and key with enough space for 20 or 30 cells.
Imagine a front basket with a drawer.
You rent a bike then you rent a drawer kit that has the battery and controller inside...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That is small!

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Haha omgoodness I was looking for the same thing 3 years ago

I managed better than I thought; but my last 2 surgeries have been a deal breaker!