Looking for affordable step-through to commute up-hill

Linnipflanzen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 20, 2017
St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland
In that case, the new Woosh Rio may suit you.
13AH battery - range about 40-50 miles at your weight.
Nice and light, well equipped with hydraulic brakes, 100mm fork with preload adjust and lockout, GXP crankset, throttle. Price: £1,049 - still within your budget.
18" / 44cm frame, relatively low top bar.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rio-mtb

Thanks! The bar is a bit too high for me on that one but I would be interested in trying a whoosh. There aren't any retailers though, are there?

I have realised today how important it is to try a bike...

Thanks!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you want to try one of our bikes, please call and talk to Hatti. She would arrange for someone near you who bought the same bike that you are interested in to show it to you.

Reactions: Linnipflanzen
D

Deleted member 4366

Just one more thing. As the battery goes down, so does the power from the motor. A fully-charged bike has 42v and a nearly empty one has 31v. the power is directly proportional to the voltage, so that could account for the difference in power between the two bikes that you could feel. The same bike will have 35% more power when charged than when empty.

Linnipflanzen

Apr 20, 2017
Just one more thing. As the battery goes down, so does the power from the motor. A fully-charged bike has 42v and a nearly empty one has 31v. the power is directly proportional to the voltage, so that could account for the difference in power between the two bikes that you could feel. The same bike will have 35% more power when charged than when empty.
Ahhh, ok! That would make sense! He was charging it for a customer coming 4 hours after me so I think it was 1/3 full max. to start with. Thanks for pointing this out!

Linnipflanzen

Apr 20, 2017
if you want to try one of our bikes, please call and talk to Hatti. She would arrange for someone near you who bought the same bike that you are interested in to show it to you.
Thanks, that'd be great!

Now I am sitting here trying to find out which one to try. :D This is so tough!! I did your test online and posted the results attached.

I see a few models saying they are for hilly terrain. I think that'd be good. We also have lots of pot holes => fat tires wound be preferable. I definitely want suspension.

Not having the battery on the back would be nice but not a must. However, I definitely do want to be able to comfortably step out of the bike over the middle pole.

Due to my weak arms, I do not want to lean on my arms much.

I'm 177cm/5"10 and 57 kg. For some reason I am not a big fan of the small 26" wheels but most bikes seem to have them...

If you could suggest a model or more based on this, that'd be great.

Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

£2000 and 120 for the lcd upgrade and built to last with the Yamaha motor ;)

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks, that'd be great!

Now I am sitting here trying to find out which one to try. :D This is so tough!! I did your test online and posted the results attached.

I see a few models saying they are for hilly terrain. I think that'd be good. We also have lots of pot holes => fat tires wound be preferable. I definitely want suspension.

Not having the battery on the back would be nice but not a must. However, I definitely do want to be able to comfortably step out of the bike over the middle pole.

Due to my weak arms, I do not want to lean on my arms much.

I'm 177cm/5"10 and 57 kg. For some reason I am not a big fan of the small 26" wheels but most bikes seem to have them...

If you could suggest a model or more based on this, that'd be great.

Thanks for your help :)
If you try the Rio MTB, I'd be very interested in how you find it as Im planning on it for my next bike :)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Just a thought!

Have you considered a Wisper 705se from £1099?

We could arrange a test ride at a local Wisper dealer. We strongly reccomend buying as locally as possible. Any ebike will need servicing and maintaining, so unless you are happy serving the bike yourself or have good access to someone who will look after your ebike, it's handy to have a tech expert in the form of an ebike dealer relatively near by.

We have nearly 100 dealers in the UK now so there's probably one relatively close to you.

https://wisperbikes.com/dealer-locator/

You can see the 705se bikes here:

https://wisperbikes.com/e-bikes/705-se-step-through/

Our big 1.95 tyres will soak up a lot of the bumps and our blade forks take a lot of weight out of the bike. If you feel happier with suspension we can fit good Suntour forks for a £100 supplement.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Linnipflanzen

Apr 20, 2017
Just a thought!

Have you considered a Wisper 705se from £1099?

We could arrange a test ride at a local Wisper dealer. We strongly reccomend buying as locally as possible. Any ebike will need servicing and maintaining, so unless you are happy serving the bike yourself or have good access to someone who will look after your ebike, it's handy to have a tech expert in the form of an ebike dealer relatively near by.

We have nearly 100 dealers in the UK now so there's probably one relatively close to you.

https://wisperbikes.com/dealer-locator/

You can see the 705se bikes here:

https://wisperbikes.com/e-bikes/705-se-step-through/

Our big 1.95 tyres will soak up a lot of the bumps and our blade forks take a lot of weight out of the bike. If you feel happier with suspension we can fit good Suntour forks for a £100 supplement.

All the best, David
I'd love to try it but the shop that comes up as my local dealer (electric bikes scotland, dundee) does not seem to have them to try out?!

Do you know anywhere near DD2 1SH? That'd be great, thanks! :)

Linnéa

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Hi Linnea,

If it's of any help to you, I live in Cupar and have a KTM EStreetP (hub motor and not step-through) which you would be more than welcome to try to help you decide what you want. It might be out of your price range but would give you an idea of what's available. St Andrews is on one of my rides so it would be no problem to let you try it.

Jim

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I'd love to try it but the shop that comes up as my local dealer (electric bikes scotland, dundee) does not seem to have them to try out?!

Do you know anywhere near DD2 1SH? That'd be great, thanks! :)

Linnéa
Hi Linnea,

Thanks for letting me know.

I've just spoken John from EBikes Scotland. He has placed an order for Demo bikes. He explained the season was still getting started and they don't yet have all their 2017 bikes in place. In fact he is expecting snow!

If you give John a call he will make an appointment for you to visit. The bikes will be there next week. He will certainly look after you.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Try a Wisper....not the prettiest bike but a very well made one with some of the best back up in the UK. Many on here have them and I've never heard of anyone regretting their purchase.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Linnipflanzen

Apr 20, 2017
Hi Linnea,

If it's of any help to you, I live in Cupar and have a KTM EStreetP (hub motor and not step-through) which you would be more than welcome to try to help you decide what you want. It might be out of your price range but would give you an idea of what's available. St Andrews is on one of my rides so it would be no problem to let you try it.

Jim
When people ask what I like most about Scotland, my answer is usually the people. you just proved my point here, Jim. That is the kindest offer ever!

I just bought this yesterday: http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=198&pg=18004

After trying to other bikes as well, it was the one that just clicked with me and I am so happy! I tried a gazelle bike and another bike as well but this frame just fitted me perfectly and I had great posture on it, better than I've ever had on any bike :)

Thank you so much everyone for your advice! I ended up buying that as an ex-floor model at a really good price from electric bikes Scotland, who seemed very competent and knowledgeable.

You don't know how excited I am ha ha! They're doing at up and I will be able to pick it up on Tuesday.

So I am looking to get the best affordable lock for it now. It has a lock you can use for just quickly looking at. But I would need a chain lock that goes in at the side. Do any of you have suggestions or know the type of lock I would have to look for? I forgot to ask…

Thank you so much for your good suggestions again! Also, thanks for your last reply, David. I would have waited for them to come in, hadn't I fallen in love with this one :)

P.s.: Jim, I don't currently live in St Andrews as I am between flats. I'm currently staying in Dundee and then Anstruther. But once I have my bike, maybe we could go on a tour once ha ha

Linnipflanzen

Apr 20, 2017
Get a D style lock of Gold Standard.

Keep away from cable locks. Bolt cutters go through them like butter.
Thanks!

There was a bit to put a lock like this into:

Trelock ZR 200 white Edition Flowers chain lock for R.S. 2013 chain and padlock https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005C8C7MO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_37e.yb1KYB4KQ

That would be super handy as I could just leave it in that bag as well. But do you reckon that's not a good idea? I do have a gold stand d lock for my normal bike but thought a chain would be at least as good…?

Thanks!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks!

There was a bit to put a lock like this into:

Trelock ZR 200 white Edition Flowers chain lock for R.S. 2013 chain and padlock https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005C8C7MO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_37e.yb1KYB4KQ

That would be super handy as I could just leave it in that bag as well. But do you reckon that's not a good idea? I do have a gold stand d lock for my normal bike but thought a chain would be at least as good…?

Thanks!
. The Motus has a super carrier and a pannier , even a low cost Halfords one will clip on, use it for the bike lock,. Rain gear and it's will carry the old litres of milk etc..
In terms of. Locks I noticed an abandoned bike in a city centre location last week, prestigious brand frame without wheels, saddle, handlebars, but still locked securely with its Kryptonite lock.