Looking for bike around £700, any ideas?

Sootycat

Just Joined
May 13, 2012
Hi, new to the forum but have been viewing the helpful comments on the forum. I am new to the world of e bikes and am looking for an entry level at around £700 but think I have read too much and confused myself. I am after a basic bike that will do a 3 mile commute uphill on the way, downhill on the way back. I know I lack the stamina to pedal all the way but want to 'normal pedal' at times! Looking at the Powarcycle Windsor because the write up is fairly good and I can buy from a recommended supplier but wonder if the battery is too small (would the lipo give more than the li ion?) or a higher spec bike from the 8fun website but unsure of their reliability as I can't out much about them. Anyone got any advice?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Sootycat.
Where are you and can you describe your hills?
Do try to find a range of bikes to try, and then you might spot why another £80 or so can make a lot of difference.

Sootycat

Just Joined
May 13, 2012
Hi Sootycat.
Where are you and can you describe your hills?
Do try to find a range of bikes to try, and then you might spot why another £80 or so can make a lot of difference.
Thanks for the reply. Based in Plymouth. Hills I use are long and gentle and medium incline. Can't find the incline anywhere. Walkable but I see experienced riders struggling and ones like me getting off and walking! I have tried to find a local supplier with bikes to try but those that I have found only seem to keep the top of the range at £1000+. Nearest good range seems to be Bristol.

Sootycat

Just Joined
May 13, 2012
Hi Sootycat,

You might wish to consider an eZee Sprint Primo for £750, reliable, easy to ride and plenty of torque.

For more information please see here Bikes & Conversion Kits - Cyclezee Ltd

Regards,
Many thanks. It was one on my list of 'desires', I was hoping to find it a bit cheaper as my employer does not favour the cycle to work scheme - said it was too complex when they tried it before. Hey ho...

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks for the reply. Based in Plymouth. Hills I use are long and gentle and medium incline. Can't find the incline anywhere. Walkable but I see experienced riders struggling and ones like me getting off and walking! I have tried to find a local supplier with bikes to try but those that I have found only seem to keep the top of the range at £1000+. Nearest good range seems to be Bristol.
A trip to E-Motion in Swindon may be a more valuable experience for the extra 30mins journey. They have a wider range than the Bristol shop with more bikes to try, including our own range available to demo.

devon_skylark

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 9, 2012
South Devon
Try Reaction Electric in Taunton, they have a really good range. Or look at second hand. I got a fantastic Panasonic crank motored electric bike off e-Bay for £500 and it can manage all the hills around Plymouth, including a 1 in 6 and has a range in excess of 30 miles.