Looking for first E Bike - Help Needed!

Northen Girl

Just Joined
Feb 20, 2017
North Yorkshire
Hi!

I am looking to buy my first electric bike to commute to work, the commute is just under 5 miles (10 in daily total)on a cycle path. I have done some research but honestly feel slightly overwhelmed by the amount of choice! I am 5ft 7 and around 9 stone, relatively fit but looking for help up hills!

My budget is up to £1000, does anyone have any suggestions? All help much appreciated!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello NG,

Most e-bikes will do 10 miles a day.
You said you are relatively fit, could you tell us which style of frame you prefer? crossbar, step through or folding?
Do you need front suspension fork?
Do you need a rear rack to carry your stuff?

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi!

I am looking to buy my first electric bike to commute to work, the commute is just under 5 miles (10 in daily total)on a cycle path. I have done some research but honestly feel slightly overwhelmed by the amount of choice! I am 5ft 7 and around 9 stone, relatively fit but looking for help up hills!

My budget is up to £1000, does anyone have any suggestions? All help much appreciated!
Hi Northern Girl
I suggest you find a local stockist and try some.
Where abouts are you? Perhaps someone will recommend a shop or somewhere to rent a bike for a day.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Northen Girl

Just Joined
Feb 20, 2017
North Yorkshire
Hi Woosh and Juicybike,

I am based in North Yorkshire - around Harroagte and Leeds. Would you have any store recommendations around here? Would be keen to test ride before purchase!

A rear rack isn't necessary but would be helpful, I would prefer step through but definitely open to a folding purely for storage purposes at work (it can't be nicked if it's kept under my desk ;)). Comfort is key for me so suspension seems like it can only add to that!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would recommend you to pop into Halfords or any bike shop to take a look first.
From my range of bikes, only the Woosh Gallego folds down small enough to be tucked under a desk. It can do the job for you but I would recommend a full size step through, something like the Woosh Crusa, much more comfortable and has faster acceleration.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?crusa
The Crusa is surprisingly comfortable on those white balloon tyres. It has a range about 35-40 miles and a larger than average motor which gives it a quite good performance on hills.
If you have any question, just ask.

Reactions: Northen Girl

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I am based in North Yorkshire - around Harroagte and Leeds. Would you have any store recommendations around here? Would be keen to test ride before purchase!
You're right to test ride any you think might be suitable, before parting with any money. Each rider and each bike forms a unique combination.

You'd be welcome to test ride at our stockists in Malton, York, or Leeds. We are just sending two to York today, so they might be your best best - but do call them first to ensure they have a bike ready for you.

York can be contacted on 01904 431951 and are at YO31 9LT.

You can see our full map of stockists around the UK here.

Suspension is often heavy and we find that with wider balloon tyres the ride is often just as comfortable without, and the bike much lighter as a consequence.

Good luck with your search and I hope you don't get too over-burdened with the choices!

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Test ride and test ride again.
There might be someone local with a bike you like so test ride them too.
Then test ride some more

• Agree
Reactions: JuicyBike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The OP's height is 5ft7, I think the Crusa 26" wheels are better suited to her height. The Cyclamatic has larger 700C (28") wheels. Also, the Crusa has bigger motor and battery (13AH against the Cycamatic 10AH), stronger for climbing hills.

Northen Girl

Just Joined
Feb 20, 2017
North Yorkshire
Thank you all your help - very much appreciated!

Sadly after some research I realised my firm's cycle to work scheme is limited to vouchers for either Halfords or Evans which limits my choices massively!

I would much rather have gone for an independent bike shop but I just can't turn away from that kind of saving!

At the moment I am thinking the Byocycle City Speed 20 is looking like the one - I also have found somewhere at work I can keep it - more suitable than under the desk :D

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire

Sadly after some research I realised my firm's cycle to work scheme is limited to vouchers for either Halfords or Evans which limits my choices massively!

I would much rather have gone for an independent bike shop but I just can't turn away from that kind of saving!

At the moment I am thinking the Byocycle City Speed 20 is looking like the one - I also have found somewhere at work I can keep it - more suitable than under the desk :D
Under the Government rules any make of bike that is registered with the scheme must be made available to purchase. So Halfords, for instance must provide any listed cyclescheme bike to its' scheme voucher holders, purchasing-in such bikes as necessary from other retailers / manufacturers.

They do make an outrageous 15% charge for providing their service to non-Halfords suppliers which encourages many to refuse to supply them and giving their own brand bikes a massive advantage.

We do supply Halfords under their scheme but do ask voucher holders for a 5% contribution to help make it viable for us.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

phil01

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2017
Dartford Kent

The Byocycle, city speed 20 is a very good folding bike, feels very well made and solid, battery is 36v 10ah and range is good, very comfortable with a sprung seat. Good value.

Attachments