Looking for options for 48V frame battery for small frame....

Chipstix

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2017
Brighton, UK
The 12Ah 48V frame battery in my Cyclotricity kit is slightly too large for my 16" frame. There is not enough clearance to slide on and off.

What other options are available? I was told there are some designs that detach sideways. I could reduce Ah if necessary but would prefer decent capacity as it is a 1000W system.

forum image hosting

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 4366

Cheaper and easier to get a new bike or a new frame. I just re-framed a Cyclotricity for about £50.

Chipstix

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2017
Brighton, UK
I can still swap the battery for the pannier rack version, not an original preference but an option and I suppose it then means I could carry items on my commute in a pannier bag rather than backpack

I could swap the frame (have plenty of friends locally that have built bikes that could help) but not sure how to find a compatible frame (how universal are they) and what size would ensure the battery fits? 17.5 or larger?

I did the obvious search for a Revolution Triad frame in medium but no joy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chipstix

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2017
Brighton, UK
Starting to lean towards the pannier rack battery option. It will be tail heavy bike but I think I might struggle to find a compatible frame for the swap. I have no idea what I would search for for compatibility with all the other components that would be transferred over....

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Starting to lean towards the pannier rack battery option. It will be tail heavy bike
I am using a battery over 5kg's on a rear pannier rack and don't notice any handling problems.
Just keep the battery tucked as far under the seat as you can get it.

Chipstix

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2017
Brighton, UK
a) it will look awful
b) you'd have to carry it with you when you leave the bike

Just get the right battery.

Something like this:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/819-48v116ah-case-08-bottle-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html
This one may also fit:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/814-36v145ah-bottle-09-panasonic-battery-charger-battery.html
I have been told I would need to buy a battery from Cyclotricity to ensure good integration with the controller of the BMS.

Also, as I have already purchased the kit though a cycle2work scheme, it must be available from Cyclotricity or eBikesdirect for me to exhange it. I cannot buy an additional battery at my cost (and those links are in the US?)

Also, due to the size of frame I don't think they will fit either, unless they detach sideways

adult picture hosting

Agreed, It wasn't the 'look' I was going for, but with the massive hub motor, I think I need to reconsider this bike as a commuting tool, it won't look like the hard tail mountain bike I started with. On the plus side, I can carry clothes and work stuff in a pannier bag.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Don't put it on a standard rack. It'll be too high and too far back. as already advised, you need the front right up against the seat-post and the bottom as close to the wheel as you can. This one is 9kg and handles OK:

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
The rack battery as above looks the way to go. Looks neat and clean too with the controller etc hidden away. Useful storage platform is a bonus too..

Chipstix

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2017
Brighton, UK
Don't put it on a standard rack. It'll be too high and too far back. as already advised, you need the front right up against the seat-post and the bottom as close to the wheel as you can. This one is 9kg and handles OK:
To be honest, I thought I would start with the purpose-designed pannier rack that comes with the battery and also holds the controller. If there is any freedom to have it further forward I would do that. Also, it's should be able to take a pannier bag with work clothes in...

I'm not sure what the 48v 12ah cyclotricity pack weighs